Chapter four

I sat on the couch with the morning sun coming through the windows in the living room

I sat on the couch with the morning sun coming through the windows in the living room. My laptop was on my lap and freshly brewed coffee was on the table, while the TV broadcasted the attest news. I was catching up with some work since later today I was planning to stay at home and spend some time with Evara.

Natalia was yet to bring her back after yesterday, and surprisingly, I didn't feel even remotely hungover after last night. Perhaps it was because of the strange occurrence that happened before. But I didn't let that become the centre of my attention.

As my gaze fixated on the TV, gracefully mounted above the fireplace, I instinctively reached for my coffee, eager to savour its warmth. Just as the rim touched my lips, a jolt of recognition ran through me, for there, displayed on the screen, was the very same face that had plagued my mind only a day before.

"Now onto the newest reports from across the ocean. Businessman Nicolas Salucci is facing troubles after one of the biggest trading centres in London was blown up," I didn't even realise I gasped. A photo of Nicolas with his father was put on the screen, and following that, old video footage of him walking with Mattia from that same building was shown. I couldn't help but admire Nicolas, which I had to mentally slap myself for, but considering most women would be drooling over him, I guess I wasn't exactly in the wrong.

Just for the fact that I was hiding his daughter from him, which wasn't exactly a position that many women found themselves in, especially not with Nicolas.

"It is a widely whispered rumour that the orchestrator behind this act could be none other than Carlo Caruso, a known rival of the Sulucci famiglia," the reporter's voice persisted. "Furthermore, with his recent union to Italy's most coveted beauty, Allegra Berlusconi, daughter of Prime Minister Angelo Berlusconi, Nicolas is poised to cement his control over the family fortunes." In that instant, my heart plummeted into the depths of my stomach, a sinking feeling that consumed me entirely.

Nicolas married?

I looked down at my laptop screen and after putting down the cup of coffee, I searched up his new wife. I guess it hurt even more when she was literally the definition of perfect in terms of looks. She had long brown hair, what looked like naturally plump lips, a petite nose and big blue eyes. It was also mentioned that she was five feet five inches and was twenty-five years of age, something we shared.

She had almost ten million followers on her Instagram account and despite not having a single post with Nico, her bio did have the Salucci name.

Was it jealousy I was feeling? Most probably.

She was a gorgeous woman who fit the looks to be with someone like Nicolas. I saw an image of Nicolas in the images panel, which was probably taken by paparazzi. He was walking with his phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other one. He wore his typical clothes, yet one detail that seemed to draw my attention was the neatly trimmed beard, decorating his face. It was weird seeing him like that. It aged him better than wrinkles could and made it seem like he was much older than the thirty years he almost had.