SIXTEEN

"guten morgen kai!"

the brunette yawned stretching his arms above his head, causing the t-shirt he was wearing to rise up, revealing his toned abs.

"guten morgen," he responded back to his mum, rubbing his eyelids groggily.
last night turned out much longer than he expected but he did not regret a single second of it.

his mum was sat at the dining room table of their house, reading the paper with a cup of tea in her hands. his father was currently out doing some grocery shopping and his older sister  was apparently still asleep upstairs.

"your coffee," she offered, pushing the hot mug in his direction. he smiled gratefully, nodding while sitting down at the table next to her. it was known that kai was an early riser; he preferred an early, fresh morning to start off his day.

"how was yesterday?" his mum asked, "how is mr. hartmann?"

kai swallowed a large gulp before answering. "he is good. i had a long conversation with him. although he wishes you and papa could have made it."

"and was there a particular reason you decided to stay longer?" she mused, her lips twitching upwards into a smile at her son.

kai fought the blush that began to appear on his cheeks as he responded. "well-i...uh, at the party i met a friend. you might know her dad. he owns the bakery calls becker's on the other side of aachen. he said that you and papa used to go there."

a warm smile spread across the older womans face as she recalled the bakery. "ja, ja! i remember now. we uses to be good friends with him - regular customers. oh, i do miss the cakes from that bakery, i must admit!"

kai nodded, grabbing a slice of bread to put in the toaster.

"and i am guessing the special friend you went to see is his daughter, dorothea?"

this time kai lost, and the blush flushed his cheeks, turning the tips of his ears red, giving his mother the answer she was expecting.

"i remember her," she smiled, "she must have only been a few months old when i saw her, as we moved here after, but her mother and father were great parents."

"y-you remember her mother?" kai faltered slightly.

"yes i do," his mother answered, noticing the tentative look on his son's face. "why?"

"she-uh...she passed away when thea was 10. s-so...uh- like 9 years ago i think. she is 19."

his mother pressed her lips into a thin line, slightly taken aback by what kai had said. after a minute of silence she spoke again. "well may she rest on piece and i hope her family are keeping well." not wanting the topic to be so sullen in the morning, she switched to something a bit different. "tell me about thea. how did you two meet?"