THIRTY-SIX

thea and heidi just stood there in shock. neither knowing what to say. the brunette tried to gage her father's reaction but failed in doing so.

"when did you apply?"

the question took her by surprise, not expecting that that would be the first thing her dad says.

"in april," she mumbled.

it was currently july.
her dad just nodded.

"did i...uh...get in?" thea asked after a moment.

"see for yourself," her dad spoke in response.

awkwardly walking forwards, she picked up the envelope which had already been open. she glanced back to heidi, slowly taking out the letter and opening it.

"dear miss dorothea alice becker," she began shakily, "on behalf of the university of culinary arts of london, i am.....delighted to inform that you have been accepted for the year commencing september 2020!"

"oh my god," heidi mumbled in shock.

"i got in!" thea squealed, leaping forwards and throwing her arms around her best friend to pull her into a hug.

after a second, she leaned back, her eyes scanning the rest of the letter. "we have accepted your application for the bursary scheme and financial aid. when you arrive, we will be able to set this up with you. we hope to see you soon. many thanks, mrs christina morgan -- registration office."

and the smile on thea's face immediately got bigger. she was actually doing this. at this point, she didn't care about the one in germany or belgium. she had gotten accepted into one of the best culinary schools ever, with the financial aid she needed. nothing could top that.

she turned back to look at her dad, who just stared back at her with a blank look on her face.

"you clearly haven't thought any of this through," he said honestly.

"what do you mean?" thea frowned, folding her arms across her chest.

"well, for starters, the bakery," he began, "

"actually," heidi butted in, "me and thea actually spoke about it. we agreed that i would be the one to fully run it now. and-um, we can hire more staff and there's already some staff we have with enough experience."

thea's dad nodded slowly, "well thanks for finally gracing me with your ideas heidi." sarcasm dripped from his voice as he turned back to this daughter. "i just don't think this was a good idea."

the brunette girl blinked, trying to prevent tears escaping her watery eyes. she knew her dad would be a bit mad, bit she wasn't expecting this response.

"mum would have been happy for me."

thea's dad had his jaw hung slightly open at his daughters sentence.

the brunette girl clamped her eyes shut for a few seconds, knowing it was a low blow. she knew it wasn't right to use her dead mother as a scapegoat for something she wanted so badly - but to some extent: there was truth in what she said.

heidi stood awkwardly in the living room, unsure of what to do amidst the beckers' argument.

thea glanced over to her dad one more time to see him staring at the ground shaking his head sadly. she took this as an opportunity to stuff the acceptance letter in her pocket, before storming up to her bedroom with her best friend trailing behind her.

JUNO'S NOTES
excitingggg

also some of my
chapters have been
disappearing
recently so if that
happens pls let me
know asap so i can
republish them