66.

I storm away

I storm away.

They don't follow me.

I'm crying hard, but I know I need to get the hell out of here. I don't want to see them for another second anymore.

How could they betray me like that?

I grab my bike and bike away as fast as I can. No footsteps or cars are heard, so this is officially the end.

A part of me was still hoping they'd explain anyway. But they don't. They don't even try.

I sob as I throw my bike in the garage and run inside. Mom frowns. "Honey? What is happening, sweetheart?"

I sob, trying to get around her and just cry in my room. But she blocks my way and hugs me.

I collapse in her arms. "They-they cheated on me," I sniffle. She stiffens and scoffs. "I always knew those guys were the worst. Puh. An own company! I won't be surprised if he works at McDonalds!"

I laugh at that. "I know you were as amazed by them as I was, Mom. But it's okay. It is, really. I'm going to study in Italy now for two years and after that everything has passed."

She sadly smiles. "We're choosing that option, yeah? But I understand, sweetie. Go get yourself a better boyfriend in Italy. but don't forget to study!"

I smile, too. "You know me, Mom. I always study." She nods, then sighs. "Gosh, I'll miss you. And my money. Now I have no free babysitter anymore," she pouts. I chuckle and wipe my tears away.

They aren't worth them. They're not.

"I'll go say bye to Dylan and leave tonight." Her eyes widen. "Tonight? Oh honey, isn't that too fast?"

I shake my head and look down. "I just— I want to leave as fast as I can, I don't want to run into them or their girlfriends anymore. And this way I can have friends when school starts."

She sighs but nods. "If that's what you want... I'll go book a ticket for you." I nod and run upstairs, planning on making my suitcase.

I can't be in this country for another day. Everything reminds me of them. The sky, the streets, the trees... Everything.

Me: I'm going to Italy, I'll miss you Today, 6:37 pm

Dylan: WHAT THE ACTUAL- Today, 6:38 pm

Dylan: Tell me what happened Today, 6:38 pm

Me: we broke up Today, 6:40 pm

Dylan: Oh. Today, 6:41 pm

Dylan Can I pleaseee punch 'em? Today, 6:42 pm

Me: When I'm on the plane, yes Today, 6:43 pm

Me: But please don't die Today, 6:44 pm

Dylan: Have you SEEN me? Today, 6:44 pm

Um. Yes. That's exactly why I said that.

Me: I love you. Promise you'll come visit me?

Dylan: Of course, sweetie. I love you too. I'll support you in this, no matter what

I sniffle and wipe away another tear. Why do I have to leave the people that actually love me? Why do they ruin everything?

Mom appears in the doorway. "Leaving at eight. That's an hour, sweetie. Come say goodbye to Tom and ash, okay?"

She leaves again. My heart sinks. Oh God, Ash too. 

I walk downstairs when my suitcase is made. And there are Tom and Asher, on his hip. Mom is standing next to them, fiercely holding in her tears.

I again rub my eyes. "I'm sorry this is so rushed, I really am. But I love you guys so much, I will return after graduating," I sob.

Tom runs to me and pulls me in a tight hug. "Fuck, I'm going to miss you. But you gotta do what you gotta do, baby sis. And if this is what you gotta do, then you have to go to Italy and kick everyone's ass."

I smile through my tears. "Thank you, little brother." He narrows his eyes, but he's not mad.

Ash pouts. "Is Lettie going away?" I sob. "Ash..."

I take him in my arms and hug him tightly. "I'm sorry, baby. Lettie needs to do this," I cry. I don't want to leave him. Not Ash. We've been through so much together, I've done my best do give him a better life... And now I'm leaving him, just like Mom did.

"Lettie will come back, ash. I promise," I sob and rub his back. "Presents for me?" he pouts. I force a smile. "Yes, baby, I'll bring a present for you when I get back."

I give him back to Tom. "I need to go... I'm sorry it's like this," I whisper, my voice thick with tears. Mom gives me another bear hug. "You'll call every day, right?"

I nod, "I promise." she sighs deeply. "Okay then. Good luck there, honey."

I  take a deep breath and turn around, leaving the house. I get into my car, tears streaming down again. This is so fucked up.

Driving to the airport, I pass their house. Their cars are there, and so is Dante. He's laughing with another man. He looks up at my car and waves, but I flip him the bird and drive faster. 

When I'm at the airport, the aching in my chest is even worse. But I need to do this, I need to stand up for myself right now. But I'll miss Mom and Ash, though.

"Passengers for the flight to Italy, please gather your luggage and sign up in gate five."

I take a deep breath and rise from my chair, but halt when I hear my name being called.

"Scarlett! Wait!"

My heart clenches at the recognition of the voice. I slowly turn around but before I even progress it, Dylan's arms are around me.

He's sobbing.

Dallas stands behind him and awkwardly waves. "I was gonna make a dick joke about family, but I'll set it aside," he winks. I shoot him a small smile, not quite able to do much as Dylan is still crushing me.

"I'm gonna miss you so hard," he cries. I wrap my hands around him. "I know, sweetie. But when I get back, we'll be together so much you want to go back to the time I was in Italy."

He sobs. "I'd never." I kiss his hair. "We'll see about that. I need to leave now, sweetie. I'll call you when I land, alright?"

He cries out, gives me another tight squeeze and then releases me. "I love you." "I love you too." Dallas gives me a short hug too before I really have to leave.

"Bye," I mumble and turn around, ready to leave.

Up to a new life.

I get on the plane, my eyes burning with tears I don't let out. My throat is sore from the sobs, but I keep going. My heart is clenching with every step I take, but I need to do this.

Finally, I sit down. Breathing out, I try to relax,like this isn't the biggest step in my life.

A manis seated next to me and faces me, a small smile on his face. "Hello, gorgeous. What's your name?"

I shake his head. "Scarlett." He smiles wider. "Ah. A beautiful name with a beautiful girl."

I blush. "I wouldn't be too sure of that. What's yours?"

He grins. "Me? My name is Lorenzo Greco, baby."

*****

I cried. Then, I giggled.