Chapter 14 - Bullies

By the time Lady Shaung made her appearance another hour had passed. The door opened and a head peaked out.

As promised, the two new bodyguards were outside.

"We are here," said Ghost alertly reassuring the disembodied head of their presence.

"Umm, yes," replied LiQuin. "The lady wants to know if there is anyone else outside?"

"There is no one who is not supposed to be here. Is she expecting someone?" The bodyguard asked in surprise. Beside him, Key moved to rest his hand lightly on his sword.

"That's good. Very good." Her head disappeared. "There is no one," she called out loudly and opened the door wide.

Only then did Lady Shuang and her entourage step out. Without another word the Shards fell into place behind her but the young lady ignored them. She was still mad at them. The other maids trailed after them. Two carried bundles.

The two men exchanged glances. Was there danger? What was she afraid of? Stay alert, something was fishy.

Since the weather was good, Lady Shuang's lessons were to be held at the pavilion in the South gardens. It meant using the dreaded stone path, the one with the decorative pond beside it. They walked slowly. Somehow the atmosphere was very tensed. It was weird.

Suddenly, six men emerged to block her path. MengYao and MengYu, the second and third sons of House Zhai and their respective guards stopped directly in the middle of the stone trail. Everyone in Shuang's entourage halted and bowed to them as they were of higher rank.

"What, new guards again?" MengYao sneered at his sister.

MengYu smirked, "I told you, no one can stand her not even those who serve her. How pathetic."

Lady Shuang lowered her head.

"Let me see them, the poor souls."

MengYao pushed rudely past Shuang. His guards followed him positioning themselves between Lady Shuang and her six maids, effectively cutting them off and isolating their sister.

To their surprise, Ghost and Key moved quickly to flank her.

MengYao looked Key up and down speculatively. "Not bad. He is quite handsome even by my standards. A real man."

He then turned his attention to Ghost. "MengYu, what do you think of this one? He is so pretty. So sweet and feminine looking too. I think they accidentally sent a girl," he sneered noting Ghost's delicate features. "Dressing as a man doesn't make you one."

"She's quite beautiful but fierce, brother. Just look at her glaring at me! The new guards always are for the first few days until they learn their place. This one might even stand up for the little brat," MengYu sniggered, then he addressed Ghost. "You should lower your pretty eyes before I order them taken out."

"Please brothers, I just want to go to my classes," Lady Shuang said in a low trembling voice.

MengYu laughed. "Since when do you ever want to study? You just want to escape from us."

"That's right. You can't leave until we have some fun."

She tried to push past her brothers but MengYao stopped her.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He raised a hand intending to push her into the decorative pond but his hand never touched the terrified girl. Ghost intercepted the bully, slapping his hand away. The bodyguard stepped forward placing himself between Shuang and MengYao.

Twack!!

The maids gasped.

"How dare you?" MengYao shouted. "I am the eldest son of House Zhai!"