Chapter 27 - Moon Goddess Temple Part 3

The session after lunch was much longer. A few more long-winded prayers and the senior nun eased into a sitting position. All followed suit as it was now time for self-reflection and contemplation. What they had done so far in life, what they were asking of the Moon Goddess and how their request would impact their lives and those around them.

Ghost stood at his post quietly studying the various activities and noting the temple routines. He was not bored. Waiting and watching was part of what a Shard does. He had lost count of how many hours he had spent, waiting and watching, planning for the right moment to deliver a message or to complete a Kill.

A Shard used his time wisely, even now he was contemplating ... how to complete his other missions. Once back at the Zhai estates, he should commence on his plan to rescue Ice and kill Lord Wen. Time was ticking. Ice should be in the jail, he needed to check the guards' routine and such. Maybe get inside to confirm the prison's layout. So far, to his credit Key had been patiently biding his time. Key must be itching to get Ice out. His wounded leg will affect his capability in completing his mission too. They should discuss strategy due to the changed situation.

Ghost's thoughts were interrupted by a nun approaching him. He had seen several other sisters talking to the guards one by one but took no heed since it didn't concern him. Apparently, it did.

"Young brother, peace be with you," she started.

"Umm, yeah, you too."

She smiled at his awkward response. Clearly this young one did not pray much and probably did not lead a life with any God or Goddess in it. Maybe he could start now? It was never too late.

"We have been speaking to all the brothers and sisters who arrived yesterday. Although you have all accompanied the Lady on her spiritual journey here for love and marriage, it would be a shame not to ask the Goddess something for yourselves."

"Ask for something? Me?"

"Yes, from the Moon Goddess. Ask anything of her and she may grant your request if you ask with an open heart."

"Umm, no thanks. I'm good."

"Everyone wants something," she persisted. "If you do not want to tell me so that I can pray and convey your desires to Her, you can speak directly to Her ... in your heart."

"In my heart?"

"Yes. You do not have to say it out aloud. Just speak to Her and tell her what you want. Who knows? She may grant your request."

"What do I have to give in return? Some donation or hours of prayers?" he asked skeptically. "Sorry, I don't really ... you know," he hedged. Saying he did not believe in her Deity to a nun's face in her Goddess's temple seemed a little blasphemous.

To his surprise, she smiled broadly giving a little chuckle. Her clear eyes filled with mirth as her laugh lines and wrinkles deepened in her round kindly face. She shook her head good-naturedly.

"No young one. You do not have to give Her anything if you don't want to. She only wants you to be happy and at peace. In all Her wisdom, she will grant favours if She deems it for good and will do so in Her own time. When and how differs, of course. Then again, some requests She may not grant at all."

"Then why ask at all?"

"What have you got to lose? If She gives to you, be happy but if She does not, nothing changes right?" she challenged. "Also, it may be that in Her wisdom, She withholds one's request for their own good. All the others have prayed to Her. She in all her graciousness have listened to them."

He blinked. True, what she said was logical. He had never trusted deities or thought of them much before. But, all the others had wished for something?

"Just ask?"