Chapter 57 - Stratagems Part 2

The cold silent moon continued its solitary Virgil upon the frozen land as the hours passed. All was quiet in the Zhang quarters as expected of one in mourning of his great loss. Imagine losing your promised wife to a lesser Lord! And by her own choice! Lord Zhang was probably dying of embarrassment and trying to drown his shame in wine. The hidden men noted maids entering his rooms with more wine bottles time and time again throughout their watch. No food or snacks, not even tea, just alcohol. Good. Nothing seemed out of place and so that was reported to Lord Zhai.

Inside, three people stood silently before their true Lord. They were in his personal chambers, the smaller room away from the main courtyard and Zhai's man watching them. The three had made their way inconspicuously from their various posts as commanded.

Lord Zhang raised an inquiring brow at his Captain.

"All clear. The two Zhai spies outside are unaware of anything. Our agents report they are in the same spots. Last report to Zhai half an hour ago is that you're a slobbering sobbing mess drinking your sorrows away," said Captain Zhang gleefully. "You are officially a drunken brokenhearted fool who regrets his chivalry."

Xi Xuan grimaced at Zi Min's description of him. His cousin seemed to be enjoying himself immensely at the subterfuge.

"What about Lady Shaung and Lord Yuan?"

"Lady Shuang's ego is bruised that you let her go too easily and did not fight for her hand. Now she is second guessing her choice."

Xi Xuan shook his head. "I guess as much at her improper behavior during the feast but she did make the decision against her father's wishes and the betterment of her House. I will not let such a selfish person who lacks loyalty and commitment into my House,"

Zi Min nodded agreement before continuing, "Lord Yuan is celebrating with his friends. He did win his bet," Captain Zhang added distastefully.

"I don't like it but we can't control everything. All we can do is the best for our own House and not meddle in others' affairs. Maybe her father can help her."

Satisfied, Xi Xuan turned his attention to the two men and one woman waiting patiently before him, his agent 'Heads' for each part of Zhai's household. They covered the kitchen, barracks and household respectfully. Since he was already up-to date on House Zhai, his command to attend him could only mean new special orders.

"Firstly, good job," Xi Xuan praised them. They smiled knowing his appreciation and acknowledgement meant an evaluation bonus. Their Lord's presence availed the opportunity for personal evaluation and it seem they had all passed with flying colors.

"The number of agents under each of you will be maintained with the exception of Siu." Xi Xuan regarded the woman in charge of his household spies. "I've been made aware that Peng wants out?"

"Yes, my Lord. He asks to be taken out and return with you when you do. His

cover has been compromised."

"Oh?"

"He was approached earlier today by another servant. It's one of Lady Huain's attendants. She attempted to blackmail him for money. She saw him leaving a message but he managed to retrieve it. He swallowed the paper."

"Does she know who the message was for?" asked Captain Zhang.

"No. Neither did she know what was written on it. He made it seem like a letter to a secret lover. But she is nosy with a higher position, so it will restrict his future movements. He will be an ineffective agent if unable to move freely," Siu concluded

"Sloppy work," admonished Captain Zhang. He took note of the name and mentally tagged him for more training.

"See to it," Xi Xuan instructed Captain Zhang. "Let him join us during our departure. No sooner. Many of us will leave at the same time so his presence will not be noticeable."