Chapter 52 - Realization

Immediately chaos erupted in the banquet hall.

"WHAT!!?!" shouted Lord Zhai jumping up in shock. Next to him, Lady Zhai paled and reached out to her personal maid for support. It would not do for her to faint in public.

Everyone begun talking at once. The confused guests all looked at her, then at Lord Zhai and finally at Lord Zhang. Several tittered nervously at Lord Yuan wondering if it was some kind of joke. Wasn't Lord Zhang the groom? Why on earth would Lady Shuang choose Lord Yuan over Lord Zhang? House Zhang was one of the top three Houses in Zinnu! By the Ruling couple's reaction, her parents were also taken unawares by their daughter's announcement.

A triumphant Lord Yuan stood up form his seat smirking in victory. Shuang had chosen him!! He had won his bet!! Although he could not see his friends who were seated much further down the hall, he was sure Li Guang and Chu Feng were both shocked at his unexpected win. After all House Zhang held much more prestige and power than his own House.

Ha, ha, hah! Take that, Zhang!! Shun Xi thought gleefully.

He had once again proven his charms and unbeatable track record of winning ladies over! He and his friends would gather later to drink and celebrate his latest conquest! Well, maybe not Chu Feng who had lost the bet but still Shun Xi was sure he was happy for him. He should come and pay up!

Meanwhile, Lord Zhang had stiffened with a frozen smile on his lips. His long fingers tightened its hold on his wine cup, trembling in indignation. A shocked frown creased his forehead. The serene smile which graced his handsome face a moment ago faded, his gentle visage hardening with silent humiliation.

Captain Zhang and all the Zhang agents within sight went on full alert. Within seconds, even the agents outside knew of the situation. With just a gesture or two form their lord, they would go on full assault on the offending lady and her House.

Orders? New orders? Do we retaliate? The spies asked.

Wait ... Captain Zhang cautioned them.

Zhang Xi Xiu had turned a deep shade of red. How dare Lady Shuang embarrass her brother and her House in public like this! She leaned over to her enraged brother to whisper urgent words. He whispered back, inhaled deeply and schooled his expression. By the time his sweet sister moved away, she too had somewhat recovered her composure. Her sweet smile was back on her lips but her eyes bored into Lady Shuang.

Lady Wei inhaled sharply and stepped forward but Lord Zhang stayed her with a subtle gesture before she could say anything.

Stand down.

Captain Zhang noted the order and relied it silently with a few movements of his fingers. The Zhang spy code was useful in communicating when discretion was needed or when agents could not leave their posts.

Stand down. STAND DOWN! Wait for further instructions.

"But my Lord!" she hissed.

"Wait. We shall see how this plays out and act accordingly."

Lady Wei stilled, then backed down when she understood his cryptic command. What Lord Zhang meant was, let Lord Zhai handle his wayward daughter and if he failed to fulfil his end of their bargain, their deal was void. New terms could be negotiated and drawn up based on the changed circumstances. If the Ruling Lord could put his daughter in her place, the marriage would still proceed.

"Yes, Lord Zhang."

Lady Wei sat back down but her mind was racing. Even if the marriage between House Zhai and House Zhang took place, the relationship had already soured. She glanced at the old 'retainer' at the table she shared with Master Kai. Old Lord Zhang had an odd expression expression on his face. His eyes glittered dangerously but a moment later his expression turned thoughtful and calculating as he studied his son's back. He relaxed and took a sip of wine. Lady Wei was worried at the sudden turn of events even if old Lord Zhang was not. She sighed. It seemed that the old lord had more trust in his son then she and Master Kai did.