Chapter 44 - Jealousy

Lady Shuang settled into her chair. She was in a bad mood. Stupid Ghost had ruined everything.

How dare he drink the cup that Lord Yuan had offered her! If a man personally poured and offered a lady a drink, that must mean something mustn't it? It was a romantic and caring gesture on Lord Yuan's part. He was so sweet. How presumptuous of Ghost to drink her wine and spoil the moment! She was right to banish him from her sight!

The young lady seethed for a while until a sudden thought struck her.

Oh! She sat up, eyes wide and heart pounding wildly.

Maybe ... could it be that Ghost was insolent and had forgotten his place momentarily because he was jealous of Lord Yuan? A pleased smile formed on her moist pink lips. Yes, that must be it. It was the only logical explanation for Ghost's sudden rude behavior. He had been overcome with jealousy! So, that meant he did harbor secret feelings for her. Shuang's self indulgent smile widen. She knew it! He did like her even if he did not know it himself!

Shuang felt her heart flutter for her absent handsome bodyguard. Awwww, poor silly adorable Ghost. If he really wanted her, all he had to do was say so. Didn't he know she liked him too? She could find a way to accommodate him.

The girl leaned back and relaxed. Ghost must be shy or uncertain how to express his feelings towards her. She was after all so much higher in social status than him. Shuang was confident he had never met anyone better than her. Of course he could not resist her, she thought. Wasn't she the unrivalled beauty in Zinnu? To think he had been playing hard to get all this time when he was actually just a man in love! The thrill of conquest ran through her body making her smirk in glee. All at once, she felt beautiful and powerful.

Shuang thought of her options, comparing them in her mind.

Lord Zhang was an old boring man. Granted, he was rich, powerful and mysterious but to be honest, downright unsuitable for her youth and beauty. To marry and live with such a dull lord like him for the rest of her life was unthinkable. It was surely a death sentence for someone like her! Why, she would fade away to nothing locked up on the pile of rocks he called a home. Surrounded by the turbulent sea, she couldn't even escape if she wanted to. It would literally be a prison! Shuang pouted in displeasure. She knew her father only chose House Zhang for her marriage to increase his power and expand his domain beyond Zinnu.

On the other hand, Lord Yuan was a real man with a nice warrior's body. He was strong, exciting and sociable. Lord Yuan was a noble with refined tastes and someone who knew how to treat a lady properly. Also, he was young! There was not a grey hair on his head unlike someone else her father was trying to marry her off to! Being one of the major Houses in Zinnu, surly House Yuan was no less than House Zhang in prestige? However, he was rather plain looking compared to her two very attractive bodyguards.

Her lips turned up when she envisioned Ghost. He was young and handsome. Unfortunately, he was a mere commoner and far beneath her in social status. Although Ghost was not really husband material, she supposed she could grant him a permanent position by her side so that he could always accompany her. She would take him along with her after marriage despite him being annoying, stubborn and unbending to her will. He was already an excellent bodyguard but with time she was certain she would be able to teach him how to be a good companion, confidant ... and consort. Since he was a commoner, he should be grateful to be promoted to consort regardless of who she married. To be honest, Ghost was more her type. Yes, she mused, that could be arranged. Then everyone would be happy.

Shuang's eyes fluttered closed as she continued her wonderful day dream. Shun Xi could be her husband. The young lord would provide for her lavish lifestyle and gift her precious gems. She would attend public functions together with him, grace him with her beauty and make him the envy of all his peers for having such a gorgeous wife. Ghost could be her favorite consort, be at her side at all times and protect her forever. If Lord Zhang really wanted her, she supposed he could be her second consort. They probably wouldn't even see each other often as he would be shut away with his dusty scrolls and books most of the time.