Chapter 50 - Banquet Hall

Elite guards in full formal uniform stood alert at their assigned posts in and around the gaily decorated banquet hall. Since the arrival of the various Houses, House Zhai Elites were on duty round the clock. They would be so until all the outsiders left the Zhai estates. Everyone had their new assignments and schedules. Security had been doubled for the entire Ruling Family.

From his position three paces from Lord Zhai's right, Captain Chiang watched everyone in the great hall like a hawk. Once in a while, he glanced around at those of his Vice-Captains who were in view. Today, all twelve of his Vice-Captains were on duty and would be for the next twenty-four hours. They were personally guarding the Family members. Their units were deployed strategically throughout the place for maximum protection.

Nothing must go wrong.

Two were stationed near Lord and Lady Zhai. They stood five paces beside their respective charges. Another two were assigned to the first and second sons of House Zhai. MengYao and MengYu sat one tier lower from their parents. Vice-Captain Han stood slightly back from Lady Huain and her husband. All three were experienced fighters and would be able to handle any surprises.

Two more of his trusted Vice-Captains were currently outside Lady Shuang's chambers, ready to escort the bride-to-be when it was time for her grand entrance. The other three and their units patrolled the grounds outside the hall. Two more were on standby.

The large banquet hall was lavishly decorated for the Engagement Banquet. Coloured drapes and banners hung on cold walls brought gaiety to the atmosphere. Each seat was covered with the softest pelts and furs. The luxurious hides of numerous wild beasts highlighted Lord Zhai's love and prowess at hunting. Not only were they comfortable, they provided warmth from the chilly winter as well.

No expense was spared.

The celebration was an opportunity for House Zhai to flaunt their wealth, display their military might and remind all of their position and power. All the Houses needed to be reminded of their place in society every so often.

Large decorative iron braziers placed at appropriate intervals held the severe winter cold at bay. They lighted up and warmed the great banquet hall nicely. Servants guarded the braziers to keep them well fed and the red orange flames alive. Light and heat blazed from the huge pots whilst shadows mirrored the dancing flames against the walls. All of House Zhai's guests would be able to enjoy the festivities comfortably in the cosy banquet hall.

Although it was only late afternoon, rows of lit torches nestled in open sconces provided ample light. Huge chandeliers of lanterns hung from the high ceiling adding more light in the spacious chamber. However, as the day faded into night, stands of intricate brass candlesticks will be lighted for the feasting guests.

Mulled wine and hot fragrant tea were served at each table. Several appetizers were also available for the guests while waiting for Lady Shuang's entrance and the main celebrations to start. Little steamed dumplings with two types of sauces, finger spring rolls, bite sized pastries and various in-season fruits, mainly red persimmon, figs and sweet tangerines. There were also a plate of preserved mixed fruits (peach, pears, plums and persimmon) requested by the pregnant Lady Li. She was happily sampling it whilst chatting with her neighbors. Everyone also had a small plate of roasted mixed nuts except Lord Wen. Since he was allergic to all types of nuts, House Zhai had served him specially prepared crispy deep fried bean curd with a spicy dipping sauce instead. It was well known to be one of his favourite snacks.

Everyone could not wait for the main courses. It was rumored that the groom had graciously offered to sponsor the celebratory meal. Everyone would be treated to the expensive delicacies of the sea House Zhang was so famous for. Lord Zhang must really be in love or want to impress and demonstrate what he had to offer his future father-in-law. He had even brought several of his personal chefs here!