Chapter 36 - Out in the Cold

"Lady Shuang, can you consider letting them in? It's really, really cold outside ..."

"No. Let them freeze. Serves them right," the young woman snapped vehemently. "If not for Ghost and Key, Father would have already caved and let me have my way. Now I don't have a choice but to marry old Zhang."

LiQuin bent to hide her grimace. Lady Zhai and Madam Shao would not approve of Lady Shuang's language. However, it was not her place to say anything being only a lowly maid, so she kept quiet. She added more coal to the central burner. It made the room nice and warm in the cold weather.

"They are also human my lady," LiQuin tried again.

Many worried maids had asked her to approach Lady Shuang to save the two handsome bodyguards from freezing. Since the incident, the lady had forbidden the two men from entering her private chambers. They had been banished to the chilly winter outdoors and had no choice but to loiter in her courtyard. They could only follow her when she ventured out.

"I'm sure they have learned their lesson and won't go against your wishes in the future."

Lady Shuang considered it for a moment but her anger won.

"No, let them stay outside awhile longer," she said spitefully. "I want them to remember this!"

-----

Key gave Ghost a sidelong glance. "How are you holding up?" A puff of vapour escaped his lips as he spoke. "I can keep and eye here while you go get a thicker cloak or something."

"I'm o'kay."

"Don't have to be a hero, you know. It's pretty cold."

Key rubbed his hands together to warm them up. The temperature must have dropped again, every exposed part of him was cold. During his last break, he had managed to change his clothes and grab a thicker cloak. Ghost wore no such garment. He just had on his his regular clothes and the standard cloak.

Smirking at the Three, Ghost tugged at his collar to reveal a bit of charcoal gray cloth. Key's eyes widen slightly at the special warm winter underclothes the Dark Sect had provided for all their Shards. They knew that sometimes, Shards had to wait for hours before striking a Target or stay hidden listening for information and confirmation. Hiding places were often times outdoors. Ghost had several pairs as he was one of the few Shards known to always work through winters.

"Ahhh! I thought you were relying on our awesome endurance training to bear this harsh weather."

"Why complicate things when there is a simple solution? A heavy cloak hinders my movements."

"Darn it, why didn't I think of that?"

Ghost just smiled and tilted his head towards the closed door. Key did the same. He closed his eyes to enhance his concentration. Ghost was also listening but he kept watch of their surroundings too.

Even through closed doors and several chambers in between, they could clearly make out Shuang's words. She was in her inner private rooms and talking to LiQuin.

Key smirked. "LiQuin pities us. She thinks we are freezing to death out here."

"It's the maids. I heard them persuade her to talk to Lady Shuang."

"Wow, she is heartless. She won't let us in."

Ghost shrugged. "No problem. We don't have to be in there to keep an eye on Shuang. Besides it makes it easier for me to run to and back from the prison. I've got a last run of food duty today."

"Why bother?"

Ghost eyed Key. "To complete the job. I must continue sending food as punishment for my lost bet. To the guards' knowledge, I'm unaware of anything else that goes on there. If I did not show up the day after Ice's escape, I'll be suspect. I'll just continue pretending for the last trip and break it off cleanly."