Chapter 26

"Oh Mrs. Maker your burning up," my maid, Rosa said. She had the back of her palm placed upon my forehead and she would switch to her palm and back to the back of it to feel my body heat better.

Let's just say a fever decided to kick in at just the right time. For the first time in forever I was glad I was sick and not able to move a single bone in my body. Why, well the simple answer was that I didn't want to go see Asher.

"Does this mean can't get out of bed?" I asked with anticipation.

"Well of course. This also means we will have to call in your doctor. Do you have his number Miss so I can make a call?"

I nodded my head and reached into my bedside table's drawer. I pulled out a small business card and handed it to her.

"I will be right back," she reassured me and went over to the door. When she pulled it open Devin was on the other side with his hand fisted as if he was going to knock.

"Oh Mr. Maker," Rosa chimed warmly. "Mrs. Maker is not feeling well." She pointed in my direction.

Devin looked over to where my messy and sickening self laid. He looked me over and then turned back to Rosa.

"I see," he said. "Will she be better by lunch time? We have a very important lunch meeting."

Was he in some way blind. He didn't even care I was sick all he cared about was if I would still be able to go to that stupid lunch meeting with freaking Asher.

"No sir, she has a very bad fever. I'm even positive she won't be able to get out of bed the whole day that is unless the doctor says she can, and on that note if you will excuse me sir but I have a phone call to make." Rosa left the room.

"Great. I had promised to take you also since he said his girlfriend was going I thought you could detract her and make friends to make him even more interested in the offer I'm making him." Devin paced around the room and tugged at the roots of his dark locks.

"Why don't you just take one of your booty calls," I suggested earning myself a glare from him.

"I can't take them out in public remember." I kind of forgot about that for a second.

"Well too bad for you. You could either go today all alone or just wait for me to get better," I said the later in a low tone indicating to him that he should take the first option and not that one but I guess he didn't understand my tactics.

"Your right, lets wait for you to get better. A day should suffice."

"Um, no. I didn't really mean that one. Go today or you might seem like a man who does not go by his words if you reschedule." Home run right there. Even when I'm sick I can still persuade someone into doing what I want. Now all he needs to do is agree.

He stood still for a bit and then looked back at me.

"Your right." Well that was easy.

I took a close look at him and noticed something different about him. New hair due? No. New shoes? No. Ugh. What was different about him? Ah, he looked happier for some apparent reason. When was he so cheery in the mornings?

"Can I ask something?"

"You just did." He gave me a boyish grin and then I certainly knew something was up.

"Why are you as happy as a clown?"

"Can't a man just be happy because he wants to be?" True but not you.

I didn't respond to his question just stared at him. Something was up and here I was useless to even be able to move.

~~~