Chapter 9

I felt my lungs stop and then I felt my self having a hard time breathing.

"Hold still Samantha," my mom camanded from behind me. She kept on tugging on the zipper to the dress I was going to wear tonight. This thing was a death trap for me.

"Gosh you've gained weight. What have you been eating?" My mom always thinks I'm gaining weight it's her fault for buying me a dress one size smaller then my regular size.

"Do you need help ma'am?" Agatha, Devin's maid asked.

"No, I got this." My mom gave one more tug to the dress and finally it zipped up.

"I'm going to die before the night starts," I mumbled under my breath.

I adjusted the top of the dress and then brushed the big puffy bottom of it. I walked to my body leaghth mirror and scrunched my nose at my reflection. The dress my mom had brought me was a blue mermaid dress that had this decoration made of jems on the sleeves and chest area. My hair was in a bunch of curls that were making me sweaty. This fancy look is not for me.

"Don't you look stunning?" My mom said coming up from behind. She smiled at our reflection in the mirror.

I put on a fake smile and said, "Yup."

"Okay then let's go down stairs the limo is waiting."

*

The Williamson's ball is an annual charity event Mrs. Williamson always throws. All it is is a bunch of billionaires in a room participating in the auction of things families donate. It's pretty boring. The only reason I always go is because I don't want to leave Conner all alone. He says he would be lonely without me.

"Wine?" Devin asked me.

I looked to my side and saw he was holding a glass of white wine up to my face. I gladly accepted it and took it from his grasp. I took a sip and cringed a bit at the bitter taste.

"Thanks," I said and took another sip from the glass.

I took a look around the room and saw Conner in the distance. He caught my eyes with his own and a big smile lit up his fave showing his sparkling white teeth. He graciously walked towards me in his black Armani suit.

"Sammy you look beautiful. That dress really suits you," he said once he was only a few feet from me.

I placed my glass of wine on the table and stood up to give him a hug. He hugged me back and we stayed like that for a few seconds.

"Have you gotten fatter?" Conner asked when we both pulled from the hug. He looked me up and down and frowned.

"Not you too," I huffed.

Conner looked behind me and I followed his gaze. I saw Devin on his phone like always.

"Who's the guy?" Conner asked bringing his attention back to me.

"Oh, that's Devin Maker, my husband." I felt weird saying that word. It was like I wasn't meant to use it yet.

"H-husband!" Conner said a little to loudly. I nodded my head. "What? When? Why?"

"Well a lot can happen in couple of months Conner. While you were off in New York my dad arranged a marriage for me, I got married, and I went on my honeymoon." I gave a fake smile and looked at his face. He was still trying to process what I had said, I could tell because he still hadn't freaked out and because he's always been kind of slow. Finally something glint in his hazel eyes and his face was priceless.

"What! I leave you for four months and you get engaged, married, and go on your honeymoon." He looked dumbfounded like if I had just told him the world would be ending tomorrow. He ran a hand threw his blonde hair and looked at me intensely.

"Yup," I said popping my "p".

We stayed silent until a voice cut in.

"Conner you look dashing tonight." I turned to see my mom in her salmon pink trumpet gown and her loose waves smiling dazzlingly at Conner. She turned to me and I could see anger in her eyes. What have I done now?

"If you don't mind Conner I'm going to take Samantha for a second. Come on honey." My mom took my arm with a strong grip and dragged me to a corner at the near end of the ball room.

"Wear in the world is Devin? Your supposed to be with him and act like a couple. What will people say when they see that you guys aren't in love?" My mom was angry and I could hear it in her voice. I looked around and I didn't see Devin. Where was he?

"Go find Devin Samantha." My mom left and I just stayed in the same spot looking for Devin.

*

It feels like I've been looking forever. I looked everywhere that I could think of but no Devin anywhere. Where the hell did he go? He's starting to piss me off doing this. My mom is going to kill me when I tell her I lost a 25 year old. New record for me. The last time I lost someone was my 14 year old cousin at the mall a year ago.

I opened the garden door and took in the smell of roses. Mrs. Williamson's garden is like a dream garden. She deticates all the time she can to make this garden the best of Maimi. I walked around just admiring all the beautiful flowers when I heard faint talking coming from the back of the garden. I got closer and hid behind a rose bush.

"I hate having to pretend we aren't together anymore." A very familier voice said. I took a peep through the bush and I saw Devin and Melody. Melody was wearing a skin tight blood red sheath dress. Her blonde hair was pushed to one side. She stepped closer to Devin and started to fiddle with his blue tie that my mom made him wear because it matched my dress.

"Well your going to have to deal with it Melody," Devin said. I listened carefully to their conversation and couldn't believe that they were lieing and that that bimbo slaped me for nothing. Oh when I get my hands on her she's gonna get it.

"Fine but just for you," she said and slammed her lips to his. God I needed a barf bag at that moment.

Once I had enough of there kissing i decided to leave. I was about to go back inside when I tripped over my dress. I fell on my butt and made a thud sound. Oh gosh I hope they didn't hear that. Their going to think I was listening which I was but I didn't mean to. Maybe I did, I don't know.

I stood up and brushed off the filth that my dress collected. Well there wasn't filth but still I brushed whatever rubbed onto my dress.

"Hello is anyone there," Devin said. My eyes widened in terror. Damn it. I turned around and ran until I hit a wall. I brought my hands up to rub my forhead and looked at what I hit. Yup it was a wall.

"Samantha?" I turned around at the commanding voice and did a whimpering smile. Why does the universe hate me so damn much?

A/N

Sorry this took so long, school has taken over my life with all the homework. Anyways picture of Samantha's dress for the night to the side. By the way thank you all for all the reads. Okay bye.