Chapter 5 {Rewritten}

Chapter 5 Rewritten

Thunder had always been a weakness of mine. I remember when I was 5 and experienced my first ever bad thunder storm. My parents had been out of town like perusal and I had been stuck with my nanny. I hadn't been able to sleep that night due to my nerves being on full blast. What had calmed me down though was my nanny giving me ice cream. It was a little weird thing of mine, but since that day if there was thunder ice cream was the only thing that could help me go back to sleep.

That first night in Hawaii would definitely have not been my favorite because of the thunder that roared outside the house. The palm trees swayed violently along with the loud winds.

I grabbed my silk robe from the end of the bed and wrapped it around my waist. Leaving the comfort of my temporary room I turned on the hallway lights and descended the cool wooden staircase. I continued turning on all of the lights as I made my way into the grandiose kitchen. I made a bee line towards the refrigerator and opened it in a split second. To my utter most disappointment there was no ice cream to be found in the cooler. I closed it with a small thud and took on to look for something else to calm my nerves. I hadn't even been half way done with looking when a small tread of footsteps made me look up from the inside of the cold fridge.

"What are you doing?" Devin asked. It looked like I had disrupted his sleep, due to the way he was rubbing his eyes in order to adjust to the bright lighting.

"Sorry to wake you; I was just looking for something to eat." I closed the fridge beside me and stood opposite of the island from where he stood.

"Why would you eat at," he paused and took a look at the green numbers displayed on the kitchen stove then resumed his sentence, "two in the morning?"

I shrugged my shoulders at him. He held my gaze for a few more seconds before walking over to the cabinet that held the cups and took one out. He went to the fridge and filled it with water.

"So your scared of thunder?" He asked while taking a sip of the water.

"I wouldn't say I'm scared, more like I don't like it."

"Same thing."

"No, it's not."

"Alright whatever you say." He gave a small smirk and I knew he wasn't going to let me live this down. "You can leave all of the lights on if that will help." With those last words to put the cup in the sink and left. He was a cocky bastard.

.

The following morning Devin decided that we go to a small café near the house. We walked there instead of taking the car. I didn't mind it but it was definitely a longer time in silence than it would have been in the car.

Tired of not saying one word to Devin I speak my walk to catch up to him and began some small talk. "This place is amazing!"

Devin slowed his pace by a step or two and turned to look down at me. "Yeah," was all he let out.

We arrived at the small shop after a long and prolonged silence. The smell of the warm pastries hit me right when we walked in. My eyes lit up when I saw rows of donuts and cookies. Was it possible to be able to get one of each because if it was, count me right in.

Devin walked up to the cashier and made his order and then turned to me.

"I'll take a vanilla iced coffee, a glazed donut. And two chocolate chip cookies."

Devin raised an eyebrow and then turned back to the young lady behind the counter and said, "What she said, and that will be all."

When out order was finally ready we sat down at a table outside and began to eat. I contemplated if I should try talking again and of course being me I did.

"Did you ever think about marrying someone of you were put in this situation?"

"No."

"Is it because of your love for traveling then?" I asked recollection the things he had said during the month we spent together. I hadn't learned much about him due to him wanting to keep to himself but the things he did end up slipping I remembered.

With a long pause he slowly nodded his head as if also trying to convince himself of his answer.

"What's the most exotic place that you have been too?"

He pondered on the question for a bit and then replied to my question. "I went to Bali a few years back and it was one of the best vacations I have had since."

I smiled at him because I had finally gotten a full sentence as an answer to one of my questions.

"Do you plan on going back?"

"Maybe one day."

"I haven't been to many places apart from the states and London. My parents keep me closed in most of my life. This is actually the furthest I have been without them and it feels great. Although the circumstances that it is under are not great."

"Agreed."

I was happy to have a conversation with Devin again that felt natural. We talked until the sun began to get too hot to bare. We walked back to the house but this time it wasn't a stinging silence needing to be interrupted, instead a calming one.