Chapter 21: Mystery tour

"Bring it on baby."

"Hey, what are you doing?" Oliver questions, returning to the van from checking out at the log cabin hut, to see Morton looking rather suspicious around their bags, as he instantly retracts his hands. 

"Just checking we haven't forgotten anything. You have your charger right?" Morton replies, trying to laugh off any suspicion he may have raised in Oliver's mind. 

Oliver steps forward, seeing his bag is partially unzipped. "Yes I do." He replies, hurriedly zipping the bag closed once again. "Let's go." He proceeds to head around to the driver's side of the campervan. 

"Wait!" Morton reaches out an arm to stop him. 

"What is it now?" Oliver looks back at Morton feeling a little agitated. "It's my turn to drive." 

"Let me." Morton inststs, holding his hand out for the keys. "Please." 

Oliver exhales a heavy sigh as he slaps the keys into Morton's opened hand. "You have been acting weird since you went for coffee this morning. What are you not telling me?"

"N…nothing I swear!" Morton insists, holding up his hands in surrender. "Please, just let me drive." 

"I'm watching you." Oliver wags a lazy finger at Morton as he heads around to the passenger seat. The camper starts up and they are soon on their way. 

Oliver looks out of the passenger window to see the guy, Neil, trying his best to get his reluctant child to sit in a pushchair. Just a reminder of how many lives he could have potentially ruined if Morton hadn't saved him from himself. He now looks back at the guy behind the wheel. Watching, as Morton seems to glare at the Neville kid, who was watering some hanging baskets by the entrance. "Cheeky shit." Morton mumbles under his breath. Seemingly not being able to let the gas situation go. It makes Oliver smile. 

"Hey." 

Morton glances at Oliver who was smiling at him. The look calming his mood.  He smiles back, before looking back at the road ahead. "Yes?"

"Where are we going?" Oliver asks as Morton indicates left out of the campsite without hesitation, clearly having a destination in mind. 

"Just wait and see." Morton chuckles, once again glancing back at Oliver to see his smile drop a little. "Don't worry. I guarantee you'll love it." 

"I'm intrigued." Oliver again looks ahead at the open road. He suddenly felt an excitement rush through him as a burning question entered his mind.  "Morton, are you taking me on a date?" His stare stays fixed on the road ahead. Suddenly too scared to look across to the man in the driver's seat.

Morton swallows hard as he grips tighter onto the wheel. "Yes… is that ok?" He side eyes the passenger by his side, just catching a glimpse of a smile. 

"That's ok." Comes the reply, with Oliver trying to stay cool, calm and collected. "You know, I've not actually been on a date before right?"

"I know." Morton chuckles. 

"You know? How?" He looks at Morton, furrowing his brow in wonder. 

"I worked it out from what you were telling me the other day. You kind of skip the date part when you're with a man. Eyes on the prize." Morton smirks. 

"You make me sound like a whore." Oliver huffs as he folds his arms, now choosing to look out of the side window. 

"Why? Did you charge?" Mortom laughs.

"You cheeky fucker!" Oliver playfully smacks Morton on his arm, making the steering go a little off. 

"Hey, watch it! You know I'm just teasing." He places a hand briefly on Oliver's knee, giving it a light squeeze. "I want us to be different." 

"We are different Morton. I've never fallen for a friend before. I don't want to mess this up." 

"Why would you mess it up? If anyone messes things up around here, it's me." Morton again tightens the grip on the steering wheel. "That is why I am determined to do this right. For both of us. So just sit back, relax and enjoy the Morton Strange experience." 

"The Morton Strange experience?" Oliver raises an eyebrow as he smirks at Morton. 

"I aim to satisfy your mind, body and soul … guaranteed." Morton continues. 

"In that order?" Oliver laughs. 

"Just be quiet." Morton huffs.  

Oliver leans across and plants a kiss on Morton's cheek. "Bring it on baby." He utters as he slowly sits back once again. The action causes Morton's heart to skip a beat. He was now more determined than ever to make this a day to remember.