33 Lizzie and Grant

She was terrified. In any moment, someone could come behind her and end her very short life. As she ran behind, Lizzie reflected on who was there for her in her life. Would they truly miss me? She wondered to herself. There was a possibility that her dad might. Maybe if he had a drink or two, he would care just a little bit. Other than that, her family would most likely move on.

Lizzie had tried many times to move on, move on from the place of horror she found herself in when she lost her baby. This trip was supposed to be a healing time, an escape from all of it. Instead, it had turned into a nightmare. She looked over at Grant. Was he responsible for this nightmare? It was possible and if so he was a sick twisted fuck. She quickened her pace.

Grant never wanted to turn back. It had never been in his nature to run away from his problems, but this had to be the one time he was allowed to run and run and never turn back. He couldn't believe he'd fallen for that stupid invitation. It had seemed to good to be true. A retreat for busy workers who needed a break. He'd been working on a project when the invitation had arrived. What a fucking joke.

As he ran beside Lizzie, he peered over at her. She was the only thing he'd kept close as the days had passed. One horror after the other and she was right there. It had been the only thing that kept from going insane. He suddenly grasped her wrist and and kissed her. "We are getting out of here." He whispered. Lizzie melted into him unexpectedly.