5 - Leg Cast

"H-Hey! Is she alright?" 

Katsuki's eyes snapped to his left where a panicked greenette was headed his way. His shoulder suddenly seemed to release all tension at the sight of his friend. 
"She's fine. Getting surgery done." He mumbled under his breath. An awkward silence roamed as Izuku struggled to catch his breath. 

"Don't blame yourself." The small male suddenly spoke, earning Bakugou's attention. Another reason why Bakugou liked the fact that Midoriya was his friend, was how Izuku could easily read his mind, sometimes. 
The blonde scoffed as he forced a smile, sitting down on a chair situated next to the door of the operating room. 

"I should have been there, damn it." He mumbled. Midoriya joined him on the second chair, fiddling nervously with his fingers. 

"But you were there." He corrected, looking over to saddened crimson eyes. 

"I wasn't there. She got hurt because I wasn't around to watch her. If I would have been there, I could have helped her get the damn cereal off the shelf. That way, she wouldn't have fallen off that fucking stool and everything would be fine." He cursed, tears appearing at the corner of his eyes. Izuku flinched, unsure of what to respond. He had never seen Bakugou in such a state and wasn't sure how to react. 

"Don't say that! You're an amazing father and I'm sure she won't blame you for that. You couldn't have done anything about it whether you would have been there or not. Things happen!" The small male exclaimed, hoping to cheer up his upset friend. 

"Oh, shut up." Katsuki muttered. His tone was dry and directed at Midoriya, who was completely taken aback from the change of emotion. "You don't know shit. You don't know how it is to lose the person you love and blame yourself for it. You don't know how it is to raise a kid on your own every damn day and worry about them constantly. You don't know shit about me or how I feel. Don't tell me what I could or could not have done. If I would have been a good parent, I wouldn't be in this damn situation, and she wouldn't be getting her bone put back in place right now." He muttered. 
Midoriya's gaze saddened as he frowned. 

"Don't... Don't talk to me like that. I'm just trying to be helpful!" He argued, looking down to his ripped jeans. 

"Well, don't! I didn't ask you to come over here, damn it. All I said was the ice-cream was canceled and I had to bring her here. I never asked you to come keep me company!" The blonde raised his voice. 

"I'm not here to keep you company... Look at you! You're in a horrible state of mind right now-" Izuku explained, hoping to calm the situation down before it got any worse. Unfortunately, this didn't work. 

"Just leave. Fuck, leave. I don't need your nagging right now. I know I screwed up and you're not going to tell me otherwise. Just leave." The blonde mumbled, bringing his voice down a bit. Midoriya frowned, trying to push back the lump forming in his throat. 

"I'm not leaving. I care about you and Kate more than you imagine. Sometimes, I even feel like... I don't know. I feel like we're a family or some sort. I love hanging out with the both of you. I'm here for you, like a good friend should be. So just, stop being stubborn and accept my damn help! I love you too much to leave you here alone with your negative thoughts. You'll only bring yourself down." Izuku spoke. 

"I said, fucking leave. You're nothing but a fucking babysitter, alright? And if you don't leave, you won't be considered that anymore either." The blonde threatened, earning teary eyes from his friend. Izuku stood up, clenching his fists in anger. 

"Stop it! I'm just trying to be helpful!" He spoke, the lump in his throat making it hard for him to speak. He watched as his friend stood up, making eye contact before the blonde's screams were heard throughout the 3rd floor. 

"I SAID FUCKING LEAVE." 

"Mister Bakugou, sir?" 

Katsuki looked back to a black-haired woman, standing shyly in the opened door to his daughter's operating room. 

"The operation is over. Everything went great. You'll be able to come in once the doctors have put a cast on her." The woman finished, staring at the two in confusion. Katsuki's gaze returned to a teary-eyed Midoriya who met his eye too. 

"I'm sorry." The blonde muttered, suddenly regretting everything he had said. The stress of his daughter's operation was enough to make him lash out to someone he cared about deeply. And now that he knew Kate was going to be fine, he came to realize he had been extremely rude. 

"Don't. Nevermind. You're a great person. You really are. But your personality is something you have to control." Izuku muttered, wiping a tear with the sleeve of his hoodie. "Gosh. I can't believe I fell for someone so damn mean." He whispered under his breath before walking off. He made sure Katsuki wouldn't hear the last words he spoke as he mumbled them as quietly as possible. 

Bakugou was the person he admired and loved the most in this entire universe. He had been lucky enough to meet the pro hero in person and become a close friend to the blonde too. Of course, Izuku was quick to develop feelings for such a strong and kind man. He was responsible and strong, funny and nice. Although his temper was something he had always been struggling with ever since the beginning. Izuku had known this, since he watched the blonde win the UA Sports Festival then proceed to act inappropriately. But that was six years ago and now Katsuki had matured. But it seems he had not matured enough.

It didn't bother Izuku that Katsuki had told him to leave. He had been quite pushy, and it was only natural that the frustrated blonde lost his temper. It didn't mean Midoriya loved him any less, either. To see Bakugou care so deeply for his daughter was something Izuku always admired and found wholesome. 

He loved both Katsuki and Kate very deeply. Although he had to keep this to himself. He knew Bakugou was still mourning Katie's death and was struggling to move on. And he also knew Kate loved to talk about her deceased mother and how amazing she was on TV. Both Bakugou and Kate were still attached to Katie. Izuku didn't want to be the one to crash through that. 

So, he kept his feelings buried and kept a steady friendship with the pro hero and his daughter. It was nice.

Even if Izuku only ended up crying himself to sleep at night, knowing he'd never be able to have a romantic relationship with Katsuki. That was just the way life was. And he had to deal with it.