Chapter 71: See You Later

Arisia:

With my ring charged now, I could talk with Harleen. I made sure we were both in the back, away from everyone's sight.

"I don't know how," I say, staring at my glowing green lantern ring, "But The Man did it. He somehow recharges our rings, and not just ours, but theirs as well."

I look at The Man as he shakes his with a smiling Kilowog.

"It has been a long time since I've last seen Kilowog smile. It has been a long time since I felt something besides tiredness and worry."

"I'm happy for you," Harleen says, looking at Kilowog, Laria, Saint Walker, and Atrocitus. "So you're going with them, aren't you? You're leaving us to go and find other lanterns."

I take a deep breath before answering.

"Yeah. I guess I have to."

"You don't have to," Harleen says, "You could stay with us. You know, come back to Earth. Punch and kick a few Earth soldiers and betas. I know it's not space travel, but hey, it's not half bad."

"Thanks," I say, smiling as I look at Harleen, "But I think you and everyone else can handle those bastards just fine. I think with them is where I'm needed right now."

Now, Harleen takes a deep breath.

"Oh well. I tried. Just, please promise me one thing before you go seeking out more green, and I guess red lanterns."

"What's that?"

"Please, oh please, be careful. After all, you don't have us watching your back."

"Yeah," I say. "That's the sad part. I don't have you watching out for me."

I feel my chest beating as Harleen laughs. I couldn't take my eyes off her lips as she tries to hide them behind her hands. I don't know what is happening. I can't be sure what is going on but something is telling me to lean in.

Leaning in closer and closer, until my nose is touching Harleen, I close my eyes and lean in just a bit closer. It then happens.

I feel Harleen's soft lips against my own. Our tongues play with each other as we kiss. As we do kiss, I feel something in my chest beating like crazy. I don't know how long we stay like this. It could have been for a few seconds. It could have been for years. I don't know. All I know is that when we pull back and I open my eyes, I see a red, panting Harleen.

"Wow," she says. "That was-"

"Something," I say.

"Yeah," Harleen says. "That was something alright."

"Bye Harleen."

"So long Arisia. See you soon."

I nod my head and make my way through the crowd. Reaching the railing, I jump and join the others.

"You did that," Laria asks, looking down at her ring. "How?"

"Stop asking me that," The Man shouts. "Just be happy I know secrets that even the Guardians don't know."

"I guess we should be at this point," Kilowog says with a sigh. "Hey, at least we don't have to worry about running out of power while in space. I mean, if The Man really did turns your ring into a battery."

"I didn't turn Laria's ring into a battery," The Man shouts. "I just taught it a few new tricks to make it self-sufficient. Your and Arisia's ring will be able to draw power from Laria."

"Meanwhile," Saint Walker says, taking over. "I and Atrocitus still have our battery. We will be fine."

"So I guess this is bye," Supergirl says.