Mantecaditos

By the time, the clock struck a couple of minutes after two-thirty, I had been walking down the hallway of level five in the apartment complex toward the shared common space.

If it wasn't for class ending late and the excruciatingly long walk across campus, I would've been here sooner.

I let out a small breath of relief when I made it to the double glass doors that led to the intended quiet space, opening one of the doors and walking in.

My eyes drifted around the calmly quiet room, taking in the small cushioned booths lining the walls that were intended for two people—there was also a corner with black and grey beanbags, matching the minimalist theme, while a tall table sat in the middle of the room with multiple chairs around it for any group work.

That was only this side of the large room—there was seemingly an open doorway with the same exact design, only it led out to a balcony covered in green turf with tables and chairs situated under umbrellas.

I just knew studying and completing assignments in here would be blissful, especially with how airy and open the minimalist-designed room felt.

Even the large glass wall, giving you a view of the small city made me look forward to the rainy days and studying while I sipped on a chai latte.

I walked past a couple of people who were seated in the tall booths that were purposefully designed for privacy between each set of students—finding Chicago nestled over in the booth by the corner, closest to the glass wall that had black transparent panel curtains over it to dim the bright afternoon sun.

Chicago had seemingly changed from the outfit she was in earlier. Her jet black hair was still braided back into a long braid, and she still wore the short sleeve graphic tee from earlier, only she had changed from the cargos she previously wore to black Eric Emmanuel shorts that matched her black platform Vans.

As I slid into the small booth across from Chicago, her dark eyes diverted up from her Mac book, "I see you aren't practical with time," she joked.

I narrowed my eyes, sliding my laptop out of my bag, "And I see you are."

Chicago shook her head at me, leaning back in the booth, "It's weird how you can make that sound like a bad thing."

I tilted my head, "Because it is... how dare you be on time Chicago," I jokingly scolded as I pointed a finger at her.

Chicago chuckled slightly, "Again, it's Chi."

I lazily raised my brows in acknowledgment, looking down at my own Mac book as I navigated toward Word, pulling it up to begin working on our assignment. As soon as everything was set, I said, "Ready?"

Chicago nodded, "Been ready—at two-thirty to be exact."

I smiled slightly, shaking my head as I said, "And I'm ready at—" I looked at the time on my computer, "two forty to be exact," I mimicked, which earned a low chuckle from Chicago as she tapped the mouse pad of her Mac book. I hovered my hands over my keyboard, "Now, tell me a bit about yourself," I said.

Chicago leaned back into the booth, giving me her full attention, "Well, for starters, I come from a Chinese heritage, but I was adopted as a baby, so I only got to know it by classes that my parents signed me up for."

I raised my brows slightly, typing the new information down.

"How was that? Being adopted? I mean... if that's not too invasive?" I questioned, looking up to Chicago who was already looking at me.

She smiled slightly, "Isn't that the point of this? To be invasive? I mean you kind of have to write down everything about me," she joked.

I laughed slightly, "Yeah, I guess you're right."