She's A Friend

My dark eyes trailed my appearance nervously, adjusting the white halter top that matched the white maxi skirt I wore with it.

I looked down to the slit cutting up the skirt, adjusting the skirt a little as well before glancing back up to meet my own eyes.

Everyone was definitely already here—I could hear the chatter upstairs in my bathroom.

I honestly felt like a child scared to come out of their room right now.

My heart practically shot out of my chest when I heard a knock at the door, causing me to inhale a slight breath, running my fingers through my loose dark curls before backing away from the bathroom mirror.

As I walked through the bedroom and toward the door, the short gold heels of my sandals clicked against the floors—opening the door to Chicago who was already dressed and ready.

Her skin was bare and her dark hair was down for once, shining even under the artificial lighting. She was dressed in a white linen button-down shirt and loose jeans with a gold chain dangling from her neck and a matching gold Rolex watch on her wrist.

I honestly forget that she's rich enough to randomly wear one of those.

Chicago pursed her lips, tilting her head slightly as her dark eyes took in my outfit.

After a few beats, she said, "I told you it would look good on you."

I smiled, remembering that she had chosen the outfit for me. And it did look good, especially with the white outfit glowing against my bronzed skin.

My head tilted slightly when Chicago's eyes darted down before she inevitably took a step toward me.

"Your clasp is in the front," Chicago said, referring to my gold necklace that had my initial dangling from it. Her eyes met mine for a brief moment, "May I?" she asked.

I felt my mouth grow dry, suddenly staring into her eyes, and being so close to her that I could inhale her vanilla scent.

Realizing that I had been quiet for too long, I nodded silently, unable to even string together one word.

Chicago looked back down, and almost as soon as her fingers grazed the skin of my neck—I felt shivers run through me, inhaling a deep breath as she carefully slid the clasp to the back of my neck where it belonged.

Even when the clasp was where it belonged, Chicago hesitated slightly, allowing her touch to still barely graze my skin as her dark eyes suddenly met mine.

We were so close.

I easily noticed the way Chicago's chest rose sharply, indicating she had taken a sharp deep breath as she stared down at me carefully. It was one of those moments when I couldn't actually think about anything else—not the guests downstairs or even that it was Thanksgiving.

I probably couldn't tell you my own name.

Unconsciously, my eyes flickered down to her lips, suddenly contemplating closing the very small gap between us—but even thinking about it, I could feel my body warm up and knots grow in my stomach.

"Chi Chi!" A small voice called out, easily making Chicago and I jump nearly ten feet apart.

As my heart raced in my chest from the literal jumpscare, peering over to the small girl. She looked to be around five—She had dark skin and hazel eyes. Her brown hair was in braids with white beads dangling on the ends while she wore a white flowy tank top and brown corduroy pants. 

I couldn't help but smile—finding the little girl entirely cute, and especially her outfit.

"Raya, what are you doing up here?" Chicago asked, smiling slightly as she walked toward the girl.