Chapter 4

"Yes, Mr Cooper if you can pick him up that would be great, don't worry these things happen in sports, it was just an accident"

The fuck it was, I sat fiddling with the strap on by bag while slouching on the chair in the principal's office, her voice condescending and even though I had told her six times how Eric planned it and meant to try and knock me out in some form of football tackle, she still ignored it.

"What about the names he called me?" I asked again as Mrs harper the Princple hung up the phone to my dad, she looked over to Mr Crawlow, "I didn't hear any of it, and you know how boys can be" he says shrugging his shoulders.

"he said we wasn't having a gay on his team, you were there" I waved my hand out at him, was I speaking French or something?

"I honestly didn't hear that Sam, you know we have a zero tolerance, but its your word against his, football can get competitive".

I sigh in disbelief, how could someone be so oblivious to it, I know he heard it, the whole fucking class heard it.

"Listen Sam, you're a good player, we could use you on the team to be honest, lets not blow this out of proportion"

"im not playing with your homophobic star player, who seemingly cant do anything wrong" I seethe through my teeth which makes Mrs Harper stand at her desk, adjusting her glasses on her nose

"he hit his head pretty hard" Mr Crawlow offers which seems to settle her somewhat, but I meant what I said.

"im fine" I say with a little more aggression than I meant for, I didn't want anyone to think I was weak, it's why I hid in the toilets until everyone had left, and now I was being sent home because of my head injury, I'd have to re-live this all again tomorrow when I faced Eric in tutor.

"ok Sam, just take some time, you can stay in the breakroom until your father arrives" with that she ushers me out the office into the waiting area, the area where all the bad kids have to sit awaiting their fate with the principle.

To my surprise Ella was sat there and immediately ran up wrapping her paws around me into a tight embrace, "im so glad you're ok" she says "you made quite the scene, everyones talking about it"

"Uggh" I sigh.

"in a good way I mean, everyone has been taking the piss out of Eric, not to mention hes been called out for tackling you"

"this is why I hate sport" I mumble, "do you know any temporary diseases I can get to ensure I have a pass out of it?" Ella smiles "sorry" she says, shaking her head, "I've got to get back to class though, Mrs harper said I could only stay 5 minutes, Text me later ok!" she waves and dissapeares down the hallway.

My eyes wander around the room which hasn't been decorated in a long time, the walls are almost stained a creamy colour and leaflets sit in racks on the walls about various activities and groups the school offers.

There's windows overlooking the parking lot and a row of brown woollen chairs against the back wall, and a small table with a few magazines on it.

I slump into one of the chairs there, pulling out my phone, there's a text from Josh asking if I'm ok, I tell him I'm still 'alive' with a laughing emoji before hitting send, maybe I was ok, it was odd having someone ask if I were, maybe I did have friends this time, maybe I wasn't alone.

With that thought there was a soft knock on the door, even though it was open already, "hey you, ok?"

I looked up and it was Jackson, I sat up in the chair like id been caught slouching by my mom or something.