Chapter 5 - Breaking Rules

Nerves dance in my stomach as Otto pulls up to the entrance of the state fair

Nerves dance in my stomach as Otto pulls up to the entrance of the state fair. Through the window, I take in the flashing lights and blasting music that surround the entrance. My eyes scan the crowd, admiring the people from all different walks of life. Everyone seems filled with joy, filled with life.

I want that.

I'm about to step out of the car when my eyes land on a large sign with ticket pricing. My stomach drops at the realization I don't have any money. So much for that idea. I sit back in my seat, defeated. I was so upset tonight that I left the house without my purse or my phone . . .

. . . or my dignity.

"Here you go, Lottie," Otto says, holding out a handful of cash.

"Otto, I--"

"Take it, honey. Go have yourself a blast. I'll be here when you're done." His phone rings, but he silences it. Giving me a wink, he says, "Nothing that can't wait. Now go."

"Don't you want to join me?"

"I'd love to, but I think I should try to settle things down as best I can. Don't you worry about a thing; I'll take care of it. Go. Have fun."

With a gentle nod, I step out of the car, giving Otto a little wave as he pulls away. Unease bubbles in my chest because I know my behavior tonight has put his job in jeopardy. He doesn't deserve whatever backlash comes from tonight's events. Regardless of what happens between Daniel and me, I have to convince Daniel to convince his parents to keep Otto. He's a good, hard-working man with a beautiful family who only did what I asked of him in a moment of complete desperation.

You can be such a disappointment at times, Charlotte.

This meeting's important, little bird. Please don't disappoint me.

Daniel was so disappointed when he discovered I was married, Charlotte. It must be a pity knowing you're nothing but second best.

Shaking those awful memories away, I take a deep breath. With newfound confidence, I buy my tickets and step into the state fair, leaving my thoughts, Daniel, and tonight's catastrophe behind me.

Tonight, I'm having some fun and I won't let myself care about anything else.

Fun? Charlotte, ladies need status, not fun.

Once inside, I beeline for the Ferris wheel. Confused stares and whispered snickers follow me like a bad smell. I can't say I blame them, though. I'm sure I stick out like a sore thumb wearing a burgundy floor-length chiffon dress. That, plus the stiletto, peep-toe heels clicking against the hard asphalt, forming a very angry blister might I add, and the absolute wreck my makeup must be in aren't likely considered traditional fair wear. Waterproof mascara is great and all, but I'd be a fool to think it could work the magnitude of a miracle needed to keep my face from looking like a drunken raccoon with the number of tears I cried on the way here.