Chapter 25 - Twisted Branches

Author's Note: Phew! We are four chapters away from completion. Woot! I can feel frustration with Lottie's character, and I get it. Lottie will have her shining moment...eventually. However, she's allowed a little grace. When writing her character, this is a quote I've kept in mind: "Progress through something traumatic, it's not linear. It's not like we go from unhealthy to healthy, failure to success. I think it's all circular. You just come back around to the same pain, and the same loneliness. But each time you come around, you're stronger from the climb"--Glennon Doyle Melton. Although Lottie will take a few steps back in this chapter, she also takes a few steps forward. Happy reading!

AMS/Imaginationgirl35

***

© 2024 AMDS/Imaginationgirl35

This meeting with the lawyers is going exceptionally well. Typically in a meeting like this, I'd keep a stern face. The key to business negotiation: never give away emotion and always leave the option of walking away on the table. With that said, not even my years of business discipline can keep the joy from showing on my face. Now that I know purchasing the Last Hope Ranch is even a possibility, I'm ready to move forward as quickly as possible at any price with Lottie by my side. She absolutely loves that place, and, to be honest, so do I.

At first, I thought my sticking around the ranch was for her. I've quickly come to realize that I stuck around for me too. The past two months have been incredible. Even with all the moving pieces of my professional life I've had to deal with since staying there, like hiring additional staff and having to drive into the city a few days a week, I've never felt more like myself than I do there. There's just something about that place that brings out the best in not only us individually but us as a couple too. I've never seen Lottie so carefree and alive, while I've learned to let go and embrace a little chaos. By a little, I mean a whole lot. Sure, I still hold tight to my business persona at my company, but as soon as I step foot back on that ranch, that part of me melts away and I feel like I'm finally home, a feeling I've never had before.

Getting to know--really know--Lottie these few months has been eye-opening, to say the least. She's a night and day difference from the woman I married. For years I thought Lottie was a cold, posh woman of high society, looking for a life of convenience and status. Turns out, she is warm and adventurous, always willing to get her hands dirty.

Oh! I cannot wait to tell her about this.

For weeks, my nerves have been erratic in anticipation of this meeting, knowing, and hating, that I've kept this a secret from her. But, with all the moving pieces and all the potential of it going nowhere, I didn't want her getting her hopes up for something that would leave her only disappointed . . .

. . . She's had enough disappointment.

My fingers twitch on the table, wanting to reach for my phone and check in on her.