Chapter 22

LUBANZI

Chapter 22

𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐙𝐈𝐖𝐄

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday Afeziwe! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you. Hipip hooray! Hipip hooray!”

"Guys it's still early!" I shrugged my sisters and covered my ears with a pillow but this devils pulled me out of bed.

"You need to blow the candle." Amber said.

"But it's your birthday also."

"That's why we are blowing it together." She placed the small cake on my bed and I sat upright.

"Three,two,one!" We both blew the candle.

"Yay! Happy 24th!" Amber shouted. Well I'm happy to announce that I'm finally 24 years old. I used to tell people I'm twenty four because my birthday was in months and now I can tell them that I'm twenty five because my next birthday is in months.

My phone rang from the nightstand and I reached for it.

It was My Assholé. What a weird yet perfect way to save your boyfriend's number.

"Boo." 

"Happy birthday baby." I smiled.

"Thank you boo."

"I'm sending you some money for you hair. I'm taking you out on a date tonight." Isn't he a gentleman?

"Aww baby. You didn't have to but thank you."

"I love you pretty lady."

"I love you too Assholé."

"I just complimented you and you insult me?"

"That was a compliment."

"Have a nice day."

"Bye." He hung up.

"I made breakfast for you,two let's go." Kaya said and we all went to eat.

I received a message of money in my account. The assholé send seven thousands. That's nice.

After breakfast,I got ready for work.

"Guys I won't come home tonight." Amber announced.

"I also don't think, I'll make it. Kaya can you do a sleepover at home?"

"Hell no!" Kaya bluntly refused.

"Sleepover at Hlelo's?"

"That's even worse."

"I don't want to leave you alone."

"Fine, I'll do a sleepover at Hlelo's." I hugged her.

"Thank you."

We both went to my car and I dropped her off at school before I went to work.

My colleagues wished me happy birthday and some even gave me gifts like books and wines. I thanked them and went to my office.

Linda announced Caroline's arrival and I asked her to send her here.

I head a knock at the door.

"Come in!" The door opened revealing Caroline. She's a tall lady who's built like a model and she's so pretty. I know I'm pretty but hers is different. Every feature on her face is perfect.

"Hey Fez. Happy birthday." She said as she sat down with a smile on her face.

"How did you know it's my birthday?"

"Oh I saw your sister's post on Instagram."

"Nice. Tell me about what happened to your brother?"

"I thought we will get to know each other first but I'll just tell you. Jackson worked in the military. He wasn't always home but when he came,we always met. The past few months his wife started refusing for him to meet me. How fúcked up is that? He started sending me texts about how abusive his wife was. I told him to go to the police but he said she didn't beat him. She was just emotionally abusing him. I tried to make my brother walk away and when he finally did,he left in a body bag."

She wiped her tears.

"I refuse to believe that it was a súicide. He didn't leave any note, nothing. That wife of his múrdered him."

"Did he have any children?" I enquired.

"Fortunately not. The poor children would have been fatherless."

We discussed the case and everything I wanted from her. It's like she had an answer to everything I asked. This is a múrder mystery I can't wait to unravel.

"Thank you Fez. Now I have hope that my brother is going to get justice."

"Hopefully."

"Drinks later on?"

"I won't be available."

"Your loss." She stood up and left. It was already lunch so I went to the salon to spend my man's money.

I changed the weave and instead braided my hair.

"You're looking fine." The hairdresser said.

"Thank you." I paid her and went back to work.

"Girl, you're looking gorgeous." Linda complimented.

"Thank you Linda."

When I reached my office I took out my phone and called Amber.

"Birthday girl!" She chirped.

"I paid for a getaway trip for the three of us,next week weekend."

"Really? A sister's trip? I can't wait."

"Make sure you cancel all your next week gigs." There was a knock at the door.

"I will. Bye,I love you."

"Bye." I hung up.

"Come in." The door opened and Linda walked in with a bouquet of flowers.

"A delivery for you." It was white roses. My favourite flowers.

"Thank you." I took them from her and looked for a card.

𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝.

𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞,𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐧.

That's what the card said.

"With that blush,they come from someone special."

"He's really special Linda."

"I'm happy for you. Let me get back to work." She left.

I went home first to freshen up and do my makeup and now I'm in front of Banzi's house.

Instead of knocking,I just walked in. I was welcomed by pedals of flowers leading upstairs. This is romantic.

I followed the path and it lead me to the same room I once saw him dancing in. I opened it and there was soft music playing.

Instead of the candle light dinner that I was expecting,I saw Banzi painting a portrait of me? Is that me?

He was wearing a white tee with black pants.

"It's beautiful." I commented as I approached him.

"Not as beautiful as you." He grabbed me by my waist with his other hand which had no paint. He slammed his lips on mine.

"Happy birthday, baby." I grinned.

"Thank you boo." We were both staring into each other. Being with him is one of the best feelings in this world. The way he hold me,makes me feel safe and the way he looks at me,I feel like I'm the most prettiest girl he had ever set his eyes on. I love him.