Chapter 32

LUBANZI

Chapter 32

𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐙𝐈𝐖𝐄

We are babysitting baby Ntsiko today. For the past month and weeks Nthabiseng has allowed Ntsiko to come and visit. Banzi bought him a cot and it's inside baby D's room.

"Is he sleeping?" Banzi walked to the balcony holding a baby bottle. The baby was sleeping in my arms.

"Yeah. He looks so adorable and calm." I kissed his forehead.

"Being a mother suits you."

"I've been a mother my entire life. Just not to my own baby." I've always looked after Amber. Beating up kids who used to bully her in primary and secondary. Always being her shoulder to cry on.

I've been a mother again to Kaya. Being her legal guardian at school and always being there for her when she wanted help. I haven't seen her in a long time now.

Schools have closed so she's always at home. She's also dating Senzo. I've asked her to come and visit but she said she'll only come when the baby is born.

"Let me take him to sleep." I stood up with the baby in my arms and went to put him to sleep.

After I put Ntsiko to sleep,I took a book and went to the garden. I sat on the bench and admired the flowers that Banzi planted.

"Angel,you can't believe this." He came to the garden holding his phone while smiling.

"What happened?"

"I've been nominated for the best lecturer of the year award at the university."

"What? That's amazing." I stood up in excitement but then I felt a contraction.

"Hmm…"

"Fez,are you okay?" He asked concerned and I nodded but I guess I nodded too early because the next contraction was worse than that.

I screamed.

"You're not okay. Is the baby on the way?"

"I don't know but I'm dying here."

"Sit down. I'll bring you water." I sat down and he rushed out.

I started feeling like I'm sitting on something wet. When I tried to see what it is,I found blood. I was bleeding.

Oh no.

This is not a good sign.

"Banzi!" I screamed while panicking.

"Babe,I have your—"

"I'm bleeding!" I interrupted him.

"What? Is it normal?" I shook my head with tears flowing on my face.

"It could only mean I'm losing my baby. I can't lose my baby."

"Babe,calm down. I'll get the car ready."

"Don't tell me to calm down!" I snapped.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Uhm, I'll fetch your things from the nursery." He ran out and I was busy trying to calm down but the pain wasn't doing me justice.

The pain of the possibility of losing my baby was even more painful.

Banzi came back and helped me go to his car. I got in at the back with Ntsiko sleeping in his car seat.

He rushed me to the hospital. When we got there Liyema was already waiting for us with a wheelchair. He helped me sit on it as he pushed me inside.

"How are you feeling sister-in-law?"

"I'm in pain but please save my baby anyhow. I won't be able to survive if anything happens to her."

"Fez,calm down. Don't cry. Sometimes pregnant women bleed when they are in labour." That kind of calmed me down but still.

He took me to this other room. There were nurses and doctors all waiting. The moment he pushed me in they all came to me. They started talking but I couldn't hear anything. It's like the pain multiplied. I just found myself laying on the bed and crying asf.

𝐋𝐔𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐙𝐈

I was pacing around with the baby in my arms. I hope nothing happens to Afeziwe and our child.

"Dude calm down." Liyema said.

"How do you expect me to calm down? And why aren't you in there?"

"It's not my patient besides,I have a surgery in thirty minutes so I couldn't do them all."

Ntsiko started moving around in my arms and when I looked at him,he was awake just staring at me.

"Champ,I hope nothing happens to your sister because I love you guys so much."

"Nothing is going to happen,bro." Liyema assured. I hope so.

Amber and Kaya came running.

"Where's my sister?" Kaya asked.

"She's at the ER." Liyema told her.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Amber enquired.

"Afeziwe is strong. She's going to be okay." Liyema assured her.

Thirty minutes later,they still weren't out the ER. Liyema went to his surgery.

I was sitting down still holding Ntsiko. I forgot his bottle at home and I was giving him the pacifier but I know that he's going to cry soon.

I took out my phone and I saw a notification that Nthabiseng was live on Insta. I just wanted to see what she was doing after abandoning her child for a week now. She never called asking how is Ntsiko doing.

She was with her friends and they were at the saloon.

The ER door opened and a doctor walked out. I put the phone away and we all stood up.

"Afeziwe Jali's relatives?"

"I'm her fiance and this are her sisters." I gestured at Kaya and Amber.

"We are going to need you to sign a document which state that we have to save one of them."

"What do you mean?"

"You have to choose between letting us save Afeziwe or the baby." What?

"Tell me you're joking?" He shook his head looking so sad.

Kaya bursted in tears and ran away. Amber chased after her.

"A nurse will come with the document. In the meantime make your choice." He left.

I'm shattered beyond repair. How can I choose between Afeziwe and our baby? The baby she's been waiting to meet for so long? She always say how she won't be able to live without her baby. If I save her then,what will happen to her when she found out that the baby is gone? And if I save the baby,how do I live without Afeziwe? How do I raise the two babies without her?