Bracelet

Kai

"I acted too harshly" My father mumbled as he looked down in shame.

He had called me into his office a few hours after the incident.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't control my anger" He sighed, "I'm afraid my old habits keep getting the best of me"

I stayed silent and waited for him to finish. I could tell by his face he had more to say. However, it seemed to me like he was reciting a poem. Like he was reading off a script.

He wasn't sorry. He was acting.

"I'm so sorry" He looked up at me with eyes full of crocodile tears. At that point, I knew he was waiting for a reply.

It took everything in me to force a smile and nod, "It's okay. I'm glad you're at least making some effort"

He sighed in relief, "You don't know how happy I am to hear you say that. However, please, don't communicate with that girl ever again" He warned, his eyes dark as if he wasn't about to "cry" a few seconds earlier. 

"Yes, father"

"I hope this time you're telling the truth. I'm giving you everything, Kai. Please give me this one thing that I'm asking"

"You're right. I'm sorry for disobeying. I took all this for granted. I promise I'm telling the truth this time" I told him exactly what he wanted to hear and he smiled.

We were both fooling each other.

"Thank you. You can leave now"

I nodded and left his office.

The moment I turned my back, my smile disappeared and a scowl took its place.

Everytime I talk to him, I feel disgusted with myself.

I went to my room, however,  before I could close the door, Paul spoke up.

"Are you okay, sir?"

Security was meant to ignore me. They weren't supposed to start chit chat. They were supposed to protect me from intruders, or in my case, keep an eye on me so that I don't escape.

So naturally, I thought something was wrong. Maybe this guy was instructed to ask and see what I would say.

I turned to him with a cold look, "I'm sure chit chatting isn't part of your job. Do your job and only that"

I went into my room immediately.  I didn't want to be mean to them, but I had to. I didn't know who to trust.

I lied on the bed and sighed.

This is already very tiring.

I wish I could just stay with Hanon in our home. I wasn't used to sleeping without her. I wasn't used to this huge, cold bed. Our beds were small, so we always hugged each other when sleeping on the same bed, but it was better than this.

Much, much better.

Taking out our photos and looking through them had become my daily routine. I couldn't function without seeing her face for a couple hours. I had to remind myself that she wasn't just a dream. That she really existed and she was mine and she really loved me.

_______

"How is she?" I asked Cameron who was here once again. I told father to bring him over. I told him we were very close and wanted some company because I felt lonely and strangely, he did what I asked.

"I don't see her a lot since we don't work the same hours anymore", He hesitated.

"Well, change your schedule" I frowned.