Chapter Twenty-Three

After spending thirty minutes in the lake, Branch, his brothers, and Poppy took the time to dry themselves off, change into some new clothes, and prepared to start walking again. They spent most of their time at the lake as they did continued to walk some more until they (surprisingly) made it to the red boulder. It took Branch a minute to figure out how in the world the red boulder was there, but he didn't care about it anymore. What mattered to him was that they made it to the lake.

Although it had been an hour of walking, Branch had a distinct feeling that something wasn't right. He felt as if they were being followed. Of course, his brothers and girlfriend were there and he could hear them talking and walking with him, but he kept feeling that distinct feeling once more. What made him want to look around was that his ear twitched and moved to the right. He turned around.......

A mini green spider hopped from one tree branch to another. Branch sighed in relief.

Branch: Phew, it was just a green spider. 😅

JD came towards him and smacked him on the back which Branch wore his backpack, which made it feel twice as hard as ever. Branch said nothing.

JD: You've been quiet lately.

Branch: (Nods) I'm listening.....

Clay: For what??

Spruce stopped at his tracks. His ears moved a bit and he quicker up the pace. He came over to Branch with a concerned look on his face. What could be possibly wrong at this moment?

Spruce: Is it just me or do you feel like we are being followed or something?

Branch: You feel that way too?

Spruce: (Nods)

Floyd: Same here.

Poppy, who had been surprisingly quiet, stopped at her tracks and pointed her finger towards her. Everyone stopped. Branch didn't want to find out what could possibly make Poppy stop moving. He faced towards her direction. In front of them, was a different kind of forest.

Branch: Oh. It's just Fearsome Forest.

Spruce: F-F-Fearsome Forest.

JD: Are we really going to go through there? 

Branch: We have to.

Clay: Oof. 

Crack.

Spruce turned around and stood still for a bit. He said nothing for a bit, which made Branch concerned, turning around.......

Spruce: Erp.... 😬

Branch: Is that.....

Poppy: Spike.

Clay: Oh come on, not again. Is he getting tired of chasing us? 😤

JD: Thanks a lot, Clay. I wonder how he got here so soon?

Clay: I don't know!!! 

But Spike wasn't alone. This time, he was with two of the same species as him. It didn't take them long for them to start running through Fearsome Forest, which was a bit dark. No, it was dark, so Poppy and Branch used their hair to light up the way, until they were able to see a bit more light.

Spruce: And we are running again.😩

Poppy: I don't think zig-zagging would work this time, especially when it's dark out.

Clay: Oh, great!

JD: Well, it's not as dark as when we entered this forest.

Branch: True, but we must be careful!!