16

Isabella

It's been a few weeks since I received the first text. I've been getting one almost everyday but they don't seem to be too imposing. I'm assuming it's one of Kian's exes with too much time on their hands. The messages are from different numbers each time so even when I block them, I still get another after a couple of days.

I'm on my way to work and that's when I receive another message. I tend not to open my texts as soon as I get them anymore, but this one is an attachment so curiosity has me opening it right away.

It's a picture. Of me. Standing on the sidewalk.  In the outfit I'm wearing today. How?

I look around but can't see anyone suspicious.  Someone is following me? Why would they do that? This has to go beyond a jealous ex- it could be anyone.

I spend the rest of the day looking over my shoulder. I skip lunch, partly because I feel sick, and partly because I was supposed to buy lunch. I don't want to go outside in case someone is waiting for me.

By 3pm, I'm so frazzled. I haven't achieved anything today and I'm dreading having go to  outside to get home. I've been wrestling with the idea of reaching out to Chief. After I had met him, Kian had sent across his contact details in case I ever needed them. He gave them to me on the way home from him having proposed and at the time, he had said that he didn't know how much press attention I would be getting and whether I would need security. I didn't end up needing security then, but I'm wondering whether I should reach out now.

The only thing stopping me is Kian. Sure, he gave me Chief's details back then but it's been months and Kian and I are not even on proper speaking terms right now. Would he see this as an inconvenience and use it against me somehow? Or worse, call off the wedding and my brother's internship?

"I'm heading out too," one of the last colleagues left in the office gets up to leave. I look around, feeling unease at the thought of the office being empty. It's now 7pm and getting dark outside. I'm going to have to suck it up, aren't I?

I pull up Chief's number, taking a deep breath as I press the call icon. It rings a few times and then his deep voice sounds. "Isabella."

"Chief, hi." I shouldn't be surprised that he knew it was me on the other end of the phone. Kian has spoken about how resourceful  Chief is.

"You in trouble?" Chief questions. Always a man of few words.

I laugh nervously. "What makes you say that?

"You called my number," he states without a hint of humour. I'm silent on the other end for a moment, not knowing how to explain the situation. I'm not sure whether I've built it up to be bigger than it is and I don't want him to laugh me off. Not that he will- I don't even know if Chief possesses the face muscles to smile, let alone laugh.

"I've been getting these messages," I begin.

"Of what nature?" He asks.

"Mild threats. Nothing too serious but they come from a different number each time." I feel stupid saying it out loud.

"How often?" Chief doesn't sound like he's about to shrug this off as nothing so I answer honestly.

"Almost everyday for the past few weeks."

There's silence on the other end of the phone and then a loud sigh. "You didn't think to call me before this?"

"Well, err- that's not all," I say hesitantly. He doesn't respond so I take it that he wants me to continue. "Today, I received another message and it was a picture of me on the sidewalk- in the clothes I'm wearing today. Someone is watching me and sent me a photo. I know it was probably harmless and only meant to scare me but the thing is, it's worked." I didn't want to get emotional but my voice quivers and I know Chief will have picked up on it.