ɪ'ᴍ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ

𝘋𝘈𝘠 𝘰𝘯𝘦

the breakfast was very bright and colorful compared to the feeling of the room, it was quiet and mournful, and the only thing you could hear was the silverware scratching the plates and the chewing coming from everyone's mouth. I tried to eat the things that looked the healthiest, I could use all the nutrients for the following days. both me and Drake wouldn't dare to look at each other, I just didn't want to face him after yesterday.

"so I will take Drake, and Fitz you take Veera, and we will escort you to the hovercraft where then you will be transported to the launch room under the arena" Concordia pipes up still trying so hard to cut the tension in the room. the mention of me leaving this room makes me nauseous so I force down my last bite and push my plate forward. once we were finished we got up and were told to get dressed. they laid out a fitted black tank top and a pair of green cargo jeans that were a very tight fit, the boots were tight to my ankle but still very sturdy. wherever I am going it better be warm because this isn't a lot of clothing. I walk out and am met with Fitz who is just looking down in the hallway.

"Are you ready?" he asks me as we wait a minute before walking down the hall.

"as ready as I will ever be." I blink a couple of times and we both walk for the elevator that will send us up to the roof to place me on the hovercraft.

"I suppose by your outfit it is going to be warm, run to the cornucopia, get what you need, and get out of there" Fitz speaks up as the elevator starts to move. "you want a spear, but also try to get supplies if there are any"

"ok, got it" I nod listening to the man beside me intently.

"And don't jump off before the countdown is over," he grabs my shoulder as the elevator doors open.

"Trust me, I know," I say as we walk onto the rooftop, I remember one year a girl jumped off too early and there wasn't even a body left to bury. it looks like we were on a different part of the roof than me and Finnick was on last night. Fitz stops after we make it to the hovercraft, and I know it means he isn't getting on with me, I run into a hug while I start to shake. "please don't let me die in there"

"I will try." he gives me one last nod of approval before sending me onto the hovercraft. I get sat down in a seat and the hovercraft takes off the other tributes are all looking at me, I see Sloan who is getting what looks like a shot, as they make their way down to me, they give me the same shot and injected something into my arm. I assume it's what they will use to track me, and see my every move. some of the tributes were crying, only one career was on here, Wilda and the rest were the other tributes. As the hovercraft comes to a stop we are all escorted off by a set of peacekeepers to a room, it is very dull compared to the rest of the capitol, the color is washed away from the walls, and it looks like some sort of prison. when I walk through the door with my district number and gender on it I am met with Runa, who runs in to hug me.

"I'm going to die, aren't I?" I ask as I feel myself shaking frantically. She just takes my face in her hands and gives me a reassuring smile before she walks over and grabs this vest, it is leather but thin.

"I can't promise you anything in that arena, but I believe in you, Verena" she simply states as she looks at me grabs my hand, and leads me to the tube as I get in.

"Twenty seconds to launch," the intercom says as the tube closes me in separating me from Runa, I try to keep my shoulders back still and try to prepare myself to adjust to wherever I am going. the tube finally starts to raise me as I am lifted into the arena and onto the pedestal the first thing I do is take in the sight. we were on a beach, in the middle of three islands, and the only way to get away from the cornucopia was to swim or risk running on the slim, forested trail where everyone else would run. I look around at the tributes and I see I am surrounded by kids from the outer districts. At least I am safe from the careers for now.