ɢʟᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ, ᴛᴡɪɴᴋʟɪɴɢ

my heartbeat.

that was the only thing I could focus on, as I faded into consciousness, I looked around at the room that was filled with surgical supplies. As I recalled the events that just happened I quickly looked down to my arm, where Alyx threw the knife at me, there was no mark of it on my skin. I would think the past month was a dream, if it wasn't for me being here, the tan on my skin, and the memories of what happened in the arena. my other arm had an IV in it, giving me fluids. I made it out of the arena, the other tributes were dead and buried by now. 

I hear the door creak open and while I am still on high alert I grab one of the needles by the tables and hide behind the bed.

"ms. Pruitt, we need to take your temperature again" I hear as I get up from behind the bed realizing that they weren't here to hurt me, I was still hesitant to get back on the bed and near the strangers entering the room. but they finally tugged me down on the bed and started to check the machines around me as much as I tried to refuse. 

"how long have I been out?" I questioned the ladies around me, I noticed most of them didn't respond, they were boxes. citizens of the capitol that rebelled and had their tongues cut out and forced to serve. one of the ladies informed me I was out for a week, and that I was so dehydrated and fatigued that they didn't think I was going to make it.

"Once we finish this, you can go" one of the ladies argues with me as I finally settle down. I can go home to my family, not my house they probably have already moved my family into Victor village. the houses in District Nine's Victor's village were lavish, except all but one were empty. well now two, I guess. I look around at the avows that were helping me, each one attentively checking my former wounds to make sure I am okay and proper enough to be seen in the crowd.

before I can go home there comes the time I most dread, having to face the capitol again while I watch the events of my games unfold with my reactions to each event making good television. they have probably already interviewed everyone from District Nine, asking questions about the fresh victor. they finished unhooking me from the machines before giving me a small bland meal to choke down to settle my stomach, I could barely get it down. they also gave me a change of clothes to walk out in.

I finally muster up the courage to walk out of the room and I am met with the same hallway that I was in before my games. when I walk out the doors Fitz immediately grabs my attention by pulling me into a hug. 

"thank you" I mutter out over his shoulder, tears filling my eyes, I am grateful for what he did for me in the arena without his gifts then I wouldn't be here. he reaches his hand up to my chin and just nods his head in approval of my performance in the arena.

"I can't take all of the credit, Finnick was in the capitol talking you up to everyone, saying he saw you in training." he smiles at me and I raise my eyebrow in curiosity. "in fact, he asked to send notes, through me"

"Why would he do that?" I look around with faint tears in my eyes. why wouldn't he help the tributes from his district, I mean I killed rhoss. the boy barely even knew me except for those few nights on the roof and brief exchanges in training. maybe Walden was right, maybe something was going on between us.

"I think the boy is quite fond of you" he slightly chuckles in sort of a whisper as we head back to the living quarters I was in a month ago, I notice everyone is eyeing me as I make my way through the hall, I was now a known face in the capitol, and through the districts. fitz tries to put his arm around my shoulders in some way to comfort me. before the games, I knew Fitz was the only one who knew what I was going through but now I know what he went through, the guilt, the mourning of who you used to be.