New Friends and New Jobs

I knocked on the teen from yesterday's door and stood there patiently. He opened it and smiled kindly.

"Hey. Two things. One, I never got your name, and two wanna hang with me and Michael later?" He checked his phone and nodded. "Sounds good, and I'm Jeremy. Mind if I bring my girl?" I smiled brightly and shook my head. "Not at all, the more the merrier!"

A beautiful girl with brown hair and bright green eyes walked up to Jeremy and plucked a kiss on his cheek. She wore a vintage AC/DC shirt and baggy jeans. "Hey, I'm Angelica. You must be the new neighbors?" I nodded and shook her hand. She took the headphones in her ears out as Jeremy told her what we were planning.

They welcomed me in and I politely placed my shoes by the door, like my father always taught me. Angelica laughed. "You don't have to be so ethical, it's fine girl. Hey, do you like AC/DC?" And just like that, we were in deep conversation. She plays the drums and guitar, she was born in Italy, and her interests and hobbies. Cool stuff like that. 

 Michael slipped his hand into mine and hugged me from behind. I flinched and he snickered. "Hey, doll. Jeremy and I are headed out to lunch. The girls wanna come?" 

"Fine, Mikey, as long as you pay. I'm broke, thanks to you."

"Hey! The candy was worth it!"

I laughed and gently punched his shoulder. Angelica and Jeremy were seemingly debating about different bands. Angelica squealed as he scooped her up and threw her over his shoulder. Michael and I couldn't hold in our laughs and burst out laughing. "Hey! Put me down!" She tried to sound firm, but her laughs kinda canceled that out. She eventually bribed Jeremy with snacks and She put her down reluctantly. "That's what I thought!" he laughed and Jeremy fake-pouted. 

We had lunch together and then departed at our apartment doors. "That was fun, we should do it again sometime!" Angelica said. We agreed and all headed inside.

"OMG, guess what!!!" Michael squealed like a little girl and spun me around. "I found out that Jeremy and I were friends when we were little, but he moved. We are such besties!" I giggled and started tidying up the rest of the stuff we had to unpack.  Michael fell asleep on the couch and immediately started snoring like a bear. 

I heard a shout from the other room and Angelica screamed, "Are y'all having a vacuum party or some shichst?!" I laughed and told Michael to go sleep somewhere else.

A tranquil silence filled the apartment and I decided to look at the note again.

Don't get too comfortable, darling 

A shudder ran throughout my body and I clenched my eyes shut. Panic rushed into me and I started hyperventilating. So many things could happen! I could get hurt, or worse, Michael could get hurt. My head started throbbing and the tears ran down my face. I thought I was done with this panic-attack crap. Ugh.

I started toward the door and took a coat hanging on the stand in the front closet of the apartment. 

7:02

5 hours before Michael started this job. I had a horrible feeling about this. I knew he was strong, but I was still worried. I didn't know what to do if he didn't survive. I don't wanna think about that right now. 

I walked up to an old park that looked like it hadn't been tended to in a while and sat down on one of the swings. It squeaked and swayed with each of my leg movements.

Flashback-3rd person

A squeal emerged from the little girl on the swing. She had on a Teletubbies shirt and pink denim shorts. An older man, not too old though, pushed her once again on the bright red and yellow swingset. He was her father.

The man checked his watch and sighed. "All right, kiddo. Momma says dinner is ready!" The girl smiled brightly and pushed her glasses up her sweaty nose. "Mhm, yeah, but can we swing one more time? Please Dad!" The man chuckled and took the girl's hand into his. "Not today. Maybe on Saturday? I'm off that day!" The girl hummed in agreement as she walked on the sidewalk with her father.

They stopped at a blue house with a front porch. The little girl unstrapped her velcro shoes before entering. She opened the door and a woman wearing a yellow shirt with an apron appeared at the door. She had the most beautiful smile. Her short ginger hair glistened with the sunset. She smelled of lavender.

You jumped into her arms and she giggled. "Hey, lovebug! How was swingin' with Dad?" You babbled on and on about how you went 'super duper' high and how you jumped off of it midair and got the 'coolest battle scar ever in the world', which was just a small scrape on her knee.

The woman sat the girl at a small rectangular table and put a plate in front of her. "Did you remember to get the medicine from the store?" The little girl frowned, threw her hands up in the air and sighed exasperatedly. "Oops! It's okay though, mama, I don't need it!" The woman pecked the father on the lips. "Nonsense, baby, the doctor said only 4 more days and you won't get sick again! I'll get some, don't worry." The girl giggled and hugged the woman. "You're the best mama. I'll wait for you."

The woman opened the door and took her purse from the counter. "Be right back, lovebug!" You sat on the couch with your father and turned on a show. 

And so you waited for your mother.

And waited.

And waited.

Flashback ends

Chills ran down my spine as a leaf crunched behind me. My breath hitched and I froze up. Uhm, I should probably run, I thought to myself. But I couldn't. I couldn't move.

A cold hand gripped my throat and I helplessly grasped the hands of William as he laughed bitterly. "I told Michael not to tell you. It's a shame that you must die, really. But alas, all good things must come to an end." 

Just then, a skateboard was chucked at his head and he let go, wincing in pain. I bit his hand and ran in the direction of the apartment. Nice move, Y/N. Like biting his hand is gonna stop him. 

He snatched my ankle and my head hit the concrete hard. He pulled my body in the direction of himself and I clawed at his face. "I'm sure Michael will be happy, with his girlfriend gone." I gave one last measly kick, but obviously, that did nothing.

A figure in a hoodie somehow managed to get William off of me. I didn't see much, probably because my main priority was staying conscious. 

She took my hand and we dashed down to the complex and finally made it. "Y/N?! What was that? What happened?" The figure asked. Ohhh. Angelica. I gasped for breath and she led me inside my apartment. I explained everything as she got me an ice pack and helped me bandage my head. "I appreciate this, thanks," I said after I finished explaining. When I was settled, she left.

"Michael?" I yelled. I got up reluctantly and saw a note on the counter.

First night on the job! Be back soon, babe!