Chapter 21 :- Small Changes

The moment those words slipped from her lips, my mind immediately raced to the possibility of her being interested in me romantically. It was as if the air around us crackled with anticipation, and her innocent gaze only fueled my confusion. Unsure of how to respond, I found myself frozen in my seat, unable to tear my eyes away from her captivating stare.

Slowly, she withdrew her hand from my arm and rested it on her chin, her eyes never leaving mine. The silence between us grew heavy, and I struggled to find the right words to convey my thoughts. Finally, in a barely audible voice, I managed to muster a response."I appreciate the offer, but I have to decline."

Her eyes widened in surprise, and she leaned in closer, "Why not? Do you think it's because you're young?"

I shook my head, trying to find the right words to explain my decision. "That's not it, I may be only 15, but I have dreams of my own. I want to forge my own path, to build a future where I can rely on my own abilities. Becoming a bodyguard, as tempting as it may be, doesn't align with those aspirations, I would love to be a bodyguard, but unfortunately I can't, I hope you can understand my situation."

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, and she leaned back slightly, processing my words. "But think about it, You'll be paid handsomely for it. Why not take advantage of such an opportunity?"

I sighed, my gaze shifting away momentarily before returning to meet hers. "It's not about the money, I know the pay would be good, but it's not enough to sway me. You see, I have my flaws. I'm still immature and childish, and I struggle with anger issues. I often lose control of myself, and I fear that these traits would make me unsuitable for the job. I used to think I was all mature and nice, but looking back, I've been pretty crappy."

She put her hand on my cheek and gently stroked it, concern evident in her eyes. "Aww honey, you need medical attention. I can help you with that. Why don't you come see me tonight in my room? I'll be staying here for a few days anyway to check up on Alice. Make sure to visit me," she said, giving me a playful wink.

My eyes widened as her touch lingered on my cheek. However, I managed to maintain my usual calm demeanor and replied, "I will let you know if I change my mind."

HELL NO! I ain't stepping foot into her room, who knows, she might try to drug me up and turn me into her little puppet or something. No way!

She smiled, clearly pleased with my response. "Good boy, think about it," she said, her voice filled with a hint of mischief.

Feeling uncomfortable and uneasy, I got up from my chair and made my way back to my room. Opening the door, I closed it behind me and lay down on my bed, deep in thought. The job as a bodyguard weighed heavily on my mind. Should I accept it or not? I pondered over the decision, trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Lost in my thoughts, I was startled by a knock on the door. The door swung open, revealing Mrs. Warner standing there. "Dinner is ready," she announced.

I don't feel like eating. I'll pass," I replied, my appetite diminished by the events of the day.

She sighed, closing the door behind her and taking a seat on my bed. Concern etched on her face, she asked, "Now what? Tell me, did something happen when you talked with Elizabeth?"

I hesitated for a moment, knowing I couldn't hide it from her. "Nothing important, we just had a small chat, you know, the usual small talk," I replied, trying to downplay the encounter.

Furrowing her eyebrows, Mrs. Warner reached out and playfully pulled my cheek. I winced in pain, causing her to stop. "Oh, I don't think so," she said, her tone indicating that she saw through my attempt to brush it off.