CHAPTER 8

TIN

Vel and Ping were already inside the meeting room when I arrived. Not like the days before, not alot of people here this morning. There's only me, The Commissioner, Vel and Ping and they all seem waiting for me.

“dr. Tin, please come in, we’ve been waiting for you”

I want to sit next to Vel but I don’t know if he is still mad at me or not. So just to be safe, I sit far from him, who sat next to Ping. I don’t know what these meetings are all about. Why is it only us here? And why is the Commissioner here?

The Commissioner sits on the chair at the end of the table then starts talking “dr. Vel, dr. Tin, you two know there’s no restriction about dating in this office, right? Everybody's free to date each other as long as it follows the Old Value, right?”

“Yes, sir” I answer with Vel in unison.

“That's why, I want you to answer honestly, are you two going on a date last weekend?”

I immediately turned to Vel when I heard that question and I could see his face turn pale. None of us answer him.

“That, of course, is your private life and if you choose to not share it with us it’s ok, it's your right. Besides, a pairing between an Enigma and an Alpha is the most ideal pairing in our society, I can be more happy and in support if that’s true. But… it becomes my concern when this is the narrative that is created among the people…”

A bunch of social media postings appear on the screen. One is a candid video of me and Vel while we dine at the restaurant the night we prevent the bombing. We were chatting and laughing happily, and yeah, it totally looks like we were having a dinner date. I don’t even have a time to question who took the video because the comment under the video are not really good:

“Wait, Are you telling me they are a pair?” 

“Aren't they on a team that should be catching the thumb collector?” 

“A serial killer is on the loose yet the people who should be catching them are going on date instead?”

“No wonder they were together when the bombing attempt happened, they were on a date!”

Some pictures of Tin calm me down after he apprehended the bomber are also there. All the comment are similar and all of them are bad.

“Catching a serial killer (NO) Going on a date (YES)”

“No wonder it took so long for them to catch the thumb collector, they are too busy going on a date.”

Some of them even use this as an opportunity to mock the Old Value.

“This is why we can  never trust Old Valuer, they are too busy consummate with each other and let the rest of us be killed by a serial killer.”

“They said Alphas are more superior than Betas, yet look at them busy dating while they have an important job to do.”

Vel's face looks horrified, he's at a loss of words and looks at the screen without blinking.

“How long has this been going?” I ask.

“Actually, the PR team started seeing the post on Monday but they didn't really take it seriously since it wasn't connected to the investigation directly. But it got worse since yesterday, more and more Beta influencers especially Gammas and Deltas post things like this” answer Ping.

“Does it appear on the news too?” Ask Vel finally said something.

“No, it only appears on social media,” answered Ping.