Chapter Seven - Camila

The night before felt like nothing more than a bad dream. She woke up late in the morning in her own bed, and almost thought she'd imagined the horrendous acts from the evening. Then the smell of lingering smoke filled her nostrils, and she felt sick to her stomach. When she checked the clock on the nightstand, she noticed it was already almost noon. Quickly, she pulled on her clothes for the day and ran to the kitchen so she could go and do her chores. Better late than never, right? She stopped in her tracks when she saw her mom gazing out the window.

"What's going on?" Camila asked, moving behind her to get a good look as well.

Mom shook her head and went back to doing the dishes. "Your father is showing Mr. and Mrs. Kendrix the ropes. I told them to rest. They've just suffered a tragedy. They insisted."

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You're a growing girl and need your sleep," Mom said rather weakly.

Scowling, Camila pulled out the milk so she could at least make her own breakfast. "There's a lot to do. And I'm eighteen, done growing now, so just give it to me straight. I can take it."

For a moment, Camila thought perhaps her mom hadn't heard her because she didn't get any kind of response. Just as she was about to open her mouth to repeat her request, Mom said, "I don't want you outside right now."

"Why?" Camila asked. She glanced at her mom, pouring cereal into a bowl before adding the milk to the mix. "If it's about last night, I already saw what happened to the Kendrix farm. You don't need to shelter me from everything."

Mom let out a heavy sigh. "The dragons saw you, and I would prefer if you stayed inside. I'm sure you've heard the stories about the girls who are taken away from home to go live in the city. They don't take girls from the country often, but when they do, there are always dragons around. I don't want them to see you and get any ideas."

Camila gazed at her mom with wide eyes. No, she hadn't thought much of those rumors. She knew girls disappeared, but she'd thought of it as more of an old wives' tale to keep teenagers inside at night so they didn't cause mischief. "Don't leave the house after dark without your parents' permission, the dragons might get you." "That girl wasn't careful and the dragons took her." The last time anyone went missing had been years ago. Even then, Camila overheard Miss Garcian say the girl wasn't stolen, but ran away for a better life.

Was it all true? Camila wasn't sure she bought it. The fear in her mother's voice gave her reason to pause all the same, if only for a moment.

"Oh, Camila, you're spilling the milk," Mom said. She rushed over and tipped the milk jug back up then ran to grab a towel. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. It's probably nothing. You were talking with the priest last night, that's all."

"He came to me," she reminded her and helped mop up the mess she'd created. Camila was usually so much more careful and aware. I can't believe I'm letting her get to me like this.

Mom nodded. "And did he have a reason to? I don't think so. What did he want?"

"For me to go back inside," Camila mumbled. "It wasn't a big deal. He also told me to make sure I take care of the Kendrixes."

"That's all?" Mom sounded doubtful.

Camila frowned. "Why would I lie to you?"

"It's not that, honey." She bit down on her lower lip. "Just don't go outside right now. Please."

This isn't fair. Camila put the soggy towel into a nearby hamper. "I don't think I have much of an option. Something tells me if I go out, you're going to drag me back inside again by my hair."

"It's only for a little while," her mom insisted.

"Fine." Today, I'll comply. Tomorrow is another story. Camila didn't believe in myths. No one was going to come and take her away. Mom only believes the story because she was raised with the same tales. Of course she takes them seriously. The young man she met last night was a priest, a messenger, and nothing more.