IV

She took refuge in the Lord's house.

After tiring herself as she ran around to find a safe place to hide herself, she came to a calm area where the city church was located, surrounded by tall and large Neem trees.

She stopped as she came near the tall building. Its white covering shone brightly under the sun's glow and that was the moment she took a deep breath.

Panting and trying to catch her breath, she bent a little. Her palm landed over her stomach as she greedily breathed through her mouth while her eyes stared at the top of the building where the cross stood.

Birds passed by and the sun glowed behind the intersection.

Tears welled up in her bright brown eyes and she decided to walk inside, hiding her face from the bright, blinding sunlight.

The chaser couldn't even imagine the place and Delilah was sure of it. Surely we think of God at such hard times but thinking of visiting His house really doesn't come to many's minds.

Delilah found the place safe.

Monday mornings always left the churches empty and serene. People were busy in their own lives. Only a few came to meet the Lord and Delilah was glad that there weren't many people inside the church.

She walked inside with tired limbs and throbbing muscles. Her feet hurt, being bare. Because of striking against rough surfaces, her feet experienced cruel abrasion. Some cuts were even on the verge of bursting open.

Her grip was tight around her phone and as soon as she came under the high ceiling, through which fans were hanging, she breathed in relief as she grabbed a seat nearby. Cool wind passed through her sweaty skin.

Her body slouched and her forehead lowered. Her eyes fell shut and tears rolled down freely.

"So much happened in a few hours and it was so horrible, Lord," she began in a low whisper and wavering tone. "Save me. Hide me, Lord, under your palm. I don't know who they are but they claim to know my Dad."

Flashes of what happened a few hours ago started coming before her closed eyes and she shuddered in terror. As much as the boldness she showed while knocking them down, she was afraid to let it happen once again because she didn't belong to violence and goons.

"I don't even want to know who they are. Please, make it all normal like it was before. I don't want that. And please, keep my Dad safe."

She was all alone inside the huge building. There was nobody inside except for a priest who took care of the house. He would always know who entered the church and who didn't so he was there again, standing near the altar.

"I know he might be searching for me but if You're listening to me, don't let him find me here. I've come under Your roof."

The old and weak eyes of the priest looked at the girl. Her small figure was slouched on one of the benches placed in the last row, near the gate. She looked tired and her trembling body indicated that she was crying silently. He had seen many people like that; broken, tired, and bleeding. She wasn't a rare sight.

He decided to go to her.

Silent footsteps never let her hear who was coming closer to her. She indeed relaxed while begging.

"In my times of trouble, you're my refuge. You're my fortress, oh, Most High God."

"Indeed He is, daughter. He welcomes the weary," he said as he heard her crying silently.

Delilah immediately looked up, alarmed. Her big and scared eyes stared at the priest and her breath hitched. But once she discovered it wasn't a threat, she relaxed the very next instant.