IX

"Marry me, Delilah."

The first thing Delilah fronted after the proposal in a matter of seconds was that she was confused. She didn't know why Nathaniel would put a proposal before her because she reckoned that he never loved her.

It could be an obsession or a simple attachment that could vanish once she walked out of his sight, but she internally assumed in those years of their separation that they weren't made for each other and he surely took it as a normal feeling which he could feel towards any woman.

Nathaniel was rich, mature, and well-established. Any woman he would put his finger upon could be his. He wasn't only handsome but had money, too. Any woman could come on her knees for him, if thought practically. He lacked nothing.

And with that, Delilah thought he would never come back or even try to look back into those memories they made when they were together because for him, it could be a play of fate in which we meet countless people in our lifetime but only a few are tied to us in this lifetime. Maybe she wasn't one of those few people.

However, all she thought was coming to a cross where it was becoming clear that she wasn't an ordinary meet or intersection of his life.

She was someone special.

"Marry you?" She mumbled through the heavy silence, squinting her eyes at him.

"Yes, marry me," he repeated, "Marry me and I'll let him go. He'll live a normal life and never I'll trouble him again for what he's done."

Out of hundreds of possibilities, this was the least. She thought he got married already, and don't blame her if she kept thinking about him after they broke up because, for her, it was all real.

She loved him. Truly.

She was taught to love and that's what she did. Being a believer even though her father never emphasized it, she always read how many times in the Bible Jesus repeated the command that love each other; Love thy neighbor thyself. But before that, she loved God and He made it possible for her to love everyone. That's what usually happens when you love Jesus. You start imitating him and you end up having compassion for everyone. That's why God told us to imitate Him.

Nothing wrong.

She regretted her feelings and mourned for the loss because she got deceived by his charms and the softness of his eyes whenever he looked at her. She considered herself gullible whenever she thought about him. He never contacted her and it made her believe he had forgotten her. She spent those years in sadness, seeking refuge in the Most High and now all of a sudden, he came back, did all weird things that were out of character, and was now asking her to marry him.

She shook her head, mumbling, "I don't wanna marry you." Looking down, she tried to remove his hand from her cheek and step back but he didn't let her.

"Does it matter?" He muttered in her face, giving her a reason to gawk at him in wonder for his audacity.

That too was out of character. He wasn't like that. He just couldn't force her to do something. All in all, her wish mattered.

"Can't you hear her, Vincent? She's not interested in marrying you. Now let her go!"

At his already irked senses, Judas added more fury through his insulting words.

"Then who would save you?" He turned to glare at Judas who was on his knees before him.

Delilah didn't like the way he was treating her father even though he was older than he. But she couldn't protest. She wasn't in that position.