VIII

"Delilah, look at me, baby."

She looked up at the sweet call, wrapped up in a soft tone. Her eyes broadened when they fell upon his handsome countenance and her lips fell open in shock. Her breath was stuck in her throat and she felt like a fool to defend him in her heart that he couldn't be involved with the gangsters because he was.

The men behind him were as shocked as Delilah was. They didn't know why their boss was giving her such a sweet endearment until he knew her and if he knew her, both of them were going to regret everything that they did to her.

However, they remained silent, not even willing to raise their eyes and look at them.

"Nathaniel?" She mumbled, blinking slowly like a child who was amazed to find a fairy in front of it.

He smiled, humming to confirm with her.

"You're their B-Boss?" She stuttered unwillingly, fear spilling into her big brown eyes which he admired from the bottom of his heart. And he could read them. They were opened only for him.

"That's right," he said, voice as deep as it was before.

Years have passed and she found no change in him but the way he felt, she could feel that change in him. His aura, felt more dangerous and he was still a walking enigma.

She felt her heart sinking into the depths. Dark depths of melancholy with no ray of hope. Like a valley of utter darkness. She felt distress enveloping her heart.

She stared at him and the more she looked into those forest green eyes, the more pain she felt. In the same eyes, she used to find sincerity and commitment but for now, she could only look into blankness. There was nothing.

Tears brimmed her eyes and her gaze was blurry. Her heart squeezed into her chest and she breathed with a shaking heart. Her eyes fell shut and tears rolled down her skin swiftly, carrying the weight of hurt.

"A criminal?" She forced out a mumble with a heavy heart, looking down. Her shoulders trembled and soon, her whole body felt tremors running down as she broke into sobs that filled the room.

She found no words to describe him. Everything came to stumble upon this word, that he was a criminal. Indeed. He was. A very ruthless one. And she wasn't proud of it.

He let her cry, commanding the others to leave the room. They obeyed, shutting the door behind themselves. Nathaniel dragged a chair and arranged it in front of her, sitting on it.

He gently held her wrist as she was crying while palming her face.

"Delilah," he said, wanting to gain her attention but she refused to be comforted by him.

"No! Stay away!" She uttered, shaking her head and wiping her tears but more rolled down, staining her face. "You're a liar," she mumbled with a broken self, wanting to deny it herself but she had no other way.

He confessed that it was all a lie.

"Listen to me—"

"Why should I?" She yelled at him, "Why should now I listen to you? What's there left to tell? You lied to me. Everything was a lie! Everything!"

"But I couldn't tell you the truth either, you know that!"

"So you decided to play with my emotions? You found me just to break me like that? The betrayal wasn't enough, so now you came to kidnap me, too, and tell me that you're the leader of a gang, huh?"

Her body was shaking. Both in anger and anguish of her soul which she felt towards him. He brought that out of her by digging into her heart like a pit to hurt her even more. He knew he was the reason for it but he never liked her pushing him away like that.