Chapter 6: The Revelation

Enveloped in an eerie darkness, I find myself utterly blind to my surroundings. What enigmatic realm is this, veiled in such obscurity? Yet, despite the absence of sight, I feel like my ears became keen.

The rhythmic 'beep beep beep' fills the air. Yes, that sound—I can hear it clearly as if it's whispering in my ears.

And shortly after that, the echo of footsteps reverberates, drawing nearer to me with each step, until I can discern the distinct sound of high heels clicking against the floor... a woman! The click-clack of her heels fills the void, yet her identity remains shrouded in mystery.

I began to close my eyes tightly, hoping for a guiding light to illuminate my path when I open them. With anticipation, I release my grip and open my eyes to find a door before me, adorned with a three-digit number.

At the same time, the echoing footsteps of the woman once again invaded my senses, this time revealing the wearer of those high heels.

Mother???

I was sure the woman was my mother. But why was she here? No, the real question was: where exactly was I?

"Omma," I called out desperately, yet she didn't spare a glance in my direction or acknowledge my presence. Was she couldn't hear my voice, just like this morning? Or had she simply ceased to care?

The woman I addressed as mother actually came to a halt before the door in front of me, her steps froze momentarily. With a deep breath, she finally grasped the handle and swung the door open and in an instant, she disappeared into the room beyond.

Gazing once more at the door, its numbers draw my attention— 050. Questions fill my mind: Why the numbering? What's the meaning behind this number? And most importantly, who does this room belong to?

As I cautiously peer through the barely opened door, my heart sinks at the devastating sight within. My mother, sobbing uncontrollably, tightly grips someone's hand, their frail form lying motionless on the bed, enveloped in shadows.

Driven by an insatiable curiosity that gnawed at my very core, I found myself irresistibly drawn into the mysterious confines of the room.

Now, the figure of my mother became clearer, her delicate features glistening with tears. With a graceful motion, she wiped her face, revealing a tenderness that stirred my heart. "Omma..." I murmured softly.

She then pull something out of her large handbag. A lavender floral pattern tiffin box. "I've prepared a special breakfast for you today, put it in your favorite tiffin box. Do you like it?" Her voice, a melody full of emotion, reached the figure lying before her.

It dawned on me then—my mother had been occupied in the kitchen this morning, oblivious to my presence, because she was cooking wholeheartedly for this person. But who is she? I still unable to see her face, as my mother's body shielded her from my view, leaving me to wonder.

However, as my mother rose to place the tiffin box on the table next to the bed, the face of that person finally appeared before me. I was frozen in shock, my hands instinctively covering my open mouth.

This couldn't be real. What was happening? Why...

I took a hesitant step forward, her pale features without any expression becoming clearer. The face mirrored mine, with the only distinction being her short hair. That meant...it was my twin, Jiyeon!

"Jiyeon-ah, what's going on? Why are you lying here like this? Wake up, please. You promised me that you would never leave me. So, I beg of you, wake up," I exclaimed, my voice halfway between shouting and pleading as I shook her body.

And suddenly...

...beep beep beep beep beep beep beep...

...that sound! The same sound I heard earlier, but now it's growing faster. Ji Yeon's body is thrashing, despite her eyes remaining shut, sending our mother into a state of panic. She quickly pressed the button hanging on the bed's headboard.

Before long, a procession of figures clad in crisp, white coats swept into the room like guardians of salvation. Their demeanor exuded an air of expertise, unmistakably doctors on a mission to heal. And with their arrival came the stark realization— I am now in the hospital!

One of them began examining Jiyeon's eyes using a flashlight-like tool, followed by administering a type of medication. They then monitored the machine beside the bed, which the one that produced the beeping sound. A minute passed, Jiyeon's body movements slowed down and eventually ceased. She appeared calm again, as if in a deep slumber.

"How is the condition of my daughter, doctor? Will Jieun survive? Please save her. She's all I have now," pleaded mother, with tears streaming her face, to the man with rectangle glasses who treat my twin earlier. On his white coat, the name tag read Dr. Jin.

But wait a moment... why did mother mention my name, not Jiyeon?

"Jieun's condition is now becoming more stable. She has successfully passed her critical moments just now. Her spirit to keep living makes her strong to face the pain. But for now, she is still in a coma. But ma'am, don't worry, I believe Jieun will wake up soon," Dr. Jin said with a soft smile towards mother.

Upon hearing that, relief washed over the mother's face. She expressed her gratitude to Dr. Jin and the other medical staff before they exited the room.

BUT the thing bothering me now is... why did they call Jiyeon with my name?

"Because she embodies the flesh, while you are the soul. You are her, and she is you. And Jiyeon... is Jieun." The voice spoke out of nowhere, its source unseen, only its haunting resonance echoing in this room and make me feel a chill creeping down my spine, as if the words themselves carried a significant revelation that I couldn't comprehend.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" I yelled with all the strength I could muster.

"I'm behind you," came the reply, and I swiftly turned around. And in that moment, the last person I saw before plunging into this enigmatic abyss reappeared before me.

"Kim Taehyung..." What in the world was he doing here? How could he be here too? Who is he actually?

Before I could even ask the questions swirling in my mind, his hands wrapped around my waist, drawing me gently into a tender embrace, where time seemed to pause, and the world around us faded into oblivion.

Quotes for this chapter:

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
- Frank Herbert -

Cameo in this chapter:

Jin (BTS)

To Be Continued...

Total: 1120 words