Chapter 12.1 [Epilogue]

*Night Before the Incident*

*Taehyung POV*

I placed my exam results on my study desk and sank into the chair. Running my hands over my face, I let out a heavy sigh before picking up the paper again. My eyes scanned the numbers on it. In my view, my results weren't that bad; I was ranked 16th out of 96 in my batch while in my class, I was 8th out of 24.

Just moments ago, I had shown these results to my father in his study. He didn't scold me, but the disappointment was clear in his expression. As one of the investors of Seoul International High School, his reputation was on the line if his own child's results weren't exceptional. I sighed again, the weight of his expectations pressing down on me.

However, I couldn't give up. I had to prove that I could do it and that my results would improve in the next exam, for my father's sake.

With determination, I grabbed my biology book and dove into my studies, the pages rustling under my fingers. Time slipped away unnoticed until the clock struck midnight. My body ached from sitting too long, and I stretched, feeling the tension ease slightly.

Just then, my phone buzzed, breaking the silence. It was a message from Jieun. My heart skipped a beat as I quickly unlocked my phone to read her message.

Jieun:

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday uri Taehyung,

Happy birthday to youuuu~

Saengil chukahamnida, Taehyung-ah! I wish you always stay happy, healthy, and live a long life.

Beneath the heartfelt message, a colorful animation of a birthday cake adorned the screen.

I couldn't help but smile at the warm wishes. But before I could compose a reply to Jieun's message, another KakaoTalk notification blinked onto my screen, this time from an unknown number. Curious, I opened it.

??: Hi, sweetheart~ Please pick me up at the airport tomorrow. My flight lands at 1 PM. Don't be late, okay?

"Mwoya? Did someone send a message to me by mistake?" As I pondered, another message from the same number came in, as if knowing exactly what I was thinking.

??: I didn't send the message by mistake, darling. It's me, Shinhye. Park Shinhye.

As I read the name, it dawned on me who was behind the message. An exciting smile spread across my face.

Me: Noona! It's been so long! Okay, see you tomorrow.

Shinhye Noona: Hehe... btw, happy birthday! My younger brother has grown up!

Me: Thank you, noona.

Once our conversation came to an end, I took a moment to delete her previous number in contacts and replace it with this new number.

Suddenly, I remembered I once told Jieun about this step-sister of mine, but they had never met and I had also never shown Jieun any pictures of her. What if I surprised Jieun tomorrow and introduced them to each other?