Chapter 11: The Proposal

*still in flashback*

A year had passed.

Just like clockwork, Taehyung came over to my place to tackle the mysteries of math. This time, we opted for the balcony as our study spot, drawn to its serenity and the beauty of the autumn scenery. My mom brought us two glasses of refreshing grape juice to accompany our study session before leaving us alone.

Since the beginning, I've been fixated on a page of the exercise book before me, its surface teeming with unanswered questions. For what felt like an eternity, I wrestled with each problem, yet they remained stubbornly unsolved. The weight of frustration bore down on my mind, each passing minute adding to the throbbing ache behind my eyes.

Shifting my focus to Taehyung, I watched as his furrowed brow betrayed the depth of his concentration, each line etched with determination as he unraveled the intricate equations sprawled across the page. A sigh escaped my lips, a testament to the weight of our academic endeavors. Yet, in the midst of my frustration, a spark of mischief ignited within me, birthing a sly grin that danced across my features.

I then adjusted my posture, settling into my seat with purpose, and delicately cradled my chin in both hands, as though I were a fragile bloom seeking the sun's gaze. "Taehyung-ah, looked into my eyes."

His gaze lifted from his book, brows knitting in perplexity. "Why?" he asked, voice laced with curiosity.

"Just because," I replied, a soft chuckle dancing on my lips, as enigmatic as the moment itself.

He finally complied and locked his eyes with mine. My mind began to race, trying to tell something to him just by thinking about it. Surely, he could understand them because our eyes met now.

Snapp!

My head was flicked.

Ouch, it hurt!

"Why did you flick my head?" I winced, rubbing the tender spot where his fingers had landed.

"To make you more clever," he replied casually, as if flicking heads were a perfectly normal method of intellectual stimulation. "You asked me to look at you, but then you just went silent."

"I was trying to tell you something." I protested.

"Exactly," he countered. "You have a mouth, so why didn't you use it to talk to me?" With a shrewd glimmer in his eyes, he tilted his head to the side, his lips curling into a victorious smile.

Despite the truth in his words, I still wasn't satisfied because my plan had failed. Ugh, this guy, as if he couldn't read what was on my mind. Even though he had been my boyfriend for a year, his behavior hadn't changed at all; he still enjoyed teasing me.

Pouting, I slumped forward, resting my head on the table. "I need a nap," I declared, my voice muffled against the table.

With a soft chuckle, he gently assured, "Sure thing, sleepyhead. I'll wake you in 15 minutes okay," he promised, his tone filled with warmth and affection.

With a contented smile, I let my eyelids droop, surrendering to the darkness that enveloped me, knowing that Taehyung would be there to rouse me from my sleep when the time came.

_______

As the evening sun cast its golden rays into my room, illuminating the wall clock reading 6 o'clock, I stirred awake. My body unfurled, still tingling with the remnants of sleep, yet oddly refreshed from just fifteen minutes of nap. With a satisfied exhale, I stretched, relishing the delicate dance of light and shadow that painted my surroundings.