Chapter 12: That's My Choice

*Still in flashback*

I glanced at my wristwatch, wondering for the umpteenth time what time it was, the anticipation tingling through my veins. As the wind tousled my hair, threatening to obscure my vision, I deftly adjusted it, feeling strands dance around my face. I deliberately let my hair down today like the day we first met, hoping he would find it as special as I did.

The moments had passed, chilly air started to swirl around me, causing me to cocoon myself further by pulling my scarf snugly around my neck, its soft fabric caressing my skin and partially veiling my mouth. Slipping my hands back into the deep pockets of my long jacket, my feet continued shuffling, trying to generate some warmth. "Why is it so cold, is it going to snow today?" I pondered, but my eyes remained fixed ahead, waiting for someone. Yes, I was waiting for my boyfriend, Taehyung. Today is his 18th birthday! I couldn't wait to surprise him!

I then pulled something out of my tote bag-a white box tied with a purple ribbon. A smile crept onto my face as I reminisced about the contents of the box, the product of my day-long effort, crafted with love. I had wanted to give it to Taehyung as a birthday present. He would surely like it. I could even already envision the sparkle in his eyes as he unwrapped it, knowing it held something special just for him.

However, amidst this delightful anticipation, a troubling thought weighed on my mind: the man I eagerly awaited hadn't arrived yet. It felt peculiar; where on earth could Taehyung be? He told me yesterday that he was going to the stadium with his male classmate to watch a baseball match today. So, he should have been back by now because the match ended two hours ago. Also, with this being the only path to his house, I lingered at the familiar spot by the roadside, he surely wouldn't have missed seeing me standing here if he had already passed by.

A knot of worry twisted in my stomach as I entertained the unsettling possibility that something might have befallen Taehyung. Without waiting anymore, I retrieved my handphone from my pocket, each tap of the screen echoing the urgency of my concern, as I dialed his number, hoping for a reassuring voice on the other end.

"Sorry, the number you have dialed is not reachable. Please leave a message after the beep," Regrettably, only the sterile voice of the operator greeted me.

"Why didn't he pick up his phone?" My anxiety deepened. Just as I was about to redial his number, a wave of relief washed over me as I finally spotted the figure I had been anxiously waiting for. However, my relief was short-lived as I noticed he wasn't alone, nor was he with a male classmate, but with a girl.

Taehyung was walking hand in hand with the girl, laughing and smiling as they strolled together. He was even delicately fixing the wind-blown strands of the girl's hair. Who was she? And why did they seem so intimate, like a lover?

"I can't think negatively. I knew Taehyung, he wasn't that kind of guy. He couldn't possibly betray our love. He wouldn't." I murmured, desperately trying to convince myself.

But in a heartbeat, my confidence and trust shattered as I watched the girl's lips meet Taehyung's cheek, prompting his smile to broaden. He obviously enjoying the girl's affectionate gesture towards him.

I clenched my fists, fighting the surge of emotions threatening to overwhelm me.

"Jieun-ah!" He finally called out to me from a distance. It was as if he had just realized my presence, after treating me as if I didn't exist in his life. I watched as he waved his hand towards me, a bright smile spreading across his face. How come he could still smile? Could it be that there was not even a hint of guilt in his heart? Had I not truly known him all this time? I couldn't believe his true self was like this...