Chapter 9: True friend

*Still in flashback*

Taehyung POV

I strided towards the school auditorium nestled in the heart of the school grounds, secluded from the other school building. But as I reached the grand entrance, my steps faltered, uncertainty casting a shadow over my intentions.

"Is it really okay if I go in? Will I be bothering her? But I really want to see her singing again," I pondered, recalling the image of the girl singing happily while sitting on a stone bench in the park yesterday. A smile tugged at my lips.

Eventually, I made up my mind to step inside, settling into an audience seat in the farthest reaches of the back row. Surrounded by dimness and empty seats, I was certain she wouldn't even notice my presence.

Before long, she made her entrance, igniting the vast and tranquil space with her captivating voice. Each high note was a testament to her undeniable talent, and her performance exuded a vibrant energy. It was evident to me that she possessed all the qualities of a promising singer.

As she concluded her song, I began to rise from my seat. However, a clumsy misstep caused my foot to stumble on the neighboring seat, creating an unwelcome noise. Caught off guard, I noticed her gaze directed towards me. Panic surged within me, prompting a swift attempt to disguise the mishap with an impromptu round of applause.

In an unexpected turn of events, the spotlight suddenly bathed me in its luminous glow, casting me into the center of attention. I stood frozen for a moment, then surrendered to the rhythm of the light, descending the stairs towards the stage. My heart began to race with an anticipation and excitement as I saw her stood there, waiting for me. Yet, I made a silent vow to hide this heartbeats from her. For if she were to discover my feelings, I would find myself at a loss, unsure of how to face it.

Taehyung Pov end

__________

Thump! thump! thump! thump! thump!

The sound didn't seem like it will slow down. Why is that? I then locked my eyes with his, searching for answers.

'His heartbeat, racing like this, is it because of me?'

"Heavy," he suddenly murmured, his voice a whisper in the stillness.

"Huh?" I'm perplexed. Heavy? What's heavy?

"You," came his reply, answering my inner thought.

Me? Was I heavy? How did he know? But then, the realization hitting me like a bolt of lightning— I AM STILL ON TOP OF HIM! In embarrassment, I scrambled to rise, releasing him from the weight of my body.

He then also rose from his lying position. His gaze briefly meeting mine as he finally handed over my hair tie. I accepted it without a single word, the tension palpable between us.

An awkward silence settled, thick as fog, as I twirled the hair tie in my fingers while he glanced around, his eyes seemed searching for an escape from this situation.

But after a few moments, I instinctively turned towards him, beside me. My gaze traveled the length of his figure, from head to toe. It was then that I noticed, with a jolt of realization, that he was wearing the student uniform of my school.

"Are you a student here too?" I asked, anticipation evident in my voice as I awaited his response. He slowly nodded, but his eyes reflecting a mix of uncertainty and lostness that I can't comprehend.

Still, I asked again. "So, which grade are you in?" For some reason, I became more curious about him.

"First grade," he answered softly.