Chapter 10: The Confession

*Still in flashback*

The fifth weekend since we became friends has arrived. Today, he asked me to go to Seoul International University with him. After having breakfast together at my house, we boarded a public bus from the nearest bus stop. Upon arriving there, he took my hand and led me to a place.

"Sit here," he beckoned, his hand gently tapping the cushion beside him. With excitement, I settled beside him, facing the grandeur of the white piano before us.

"Wow, this piano is so beautiful," I marveled. Every inch of it seemed to shimmer under the soft glow of the music room, its ivory keys reflecting the ambient light. The elegant curves and intricate woodwork adding a touch of sophistication to the space, captivating my senses.

I looked around, taking in the surroundings. "Is it alright if we're in here?" I inquired, aware of the room's exclusivity. This wasn't just any room; it housed treasures beyond measure, with the piano before me standing as the pinnacle of luxury, worth millions of won.

"Don't worry. We didn't sneak in. Seojun hyung...I mean the department head himself gave me the key to this room," he asserted, his expression devoid of any guilt. Perhaps he spoke the truth. After all, his father held the esteemed position of chief professor at this university, a figure well-known amongst the staff. So, it's entirely plausible they granted him unfettered access to this music room located within the university's prestigious art department.

Glancing at him by my side, I noticed his eyes fixed on the piano keys before him, his face lit up with pure joy. Never had I seen him radiate such happiness throughout our friendship. "Do you know how to play the piano?" I asked, genuinely surprised. Taehyung, with his smart and diligent demeanor, hadn't struck me as someone interested in music.

He grinned in response to my question. "What do you think?" he asked playfully. I could only shrug, admitting my ignorance.

"Actually..." he began, his eyes glinting with a hint of nostalgia, "...when I was a kid, my mother used to take me to piano classes. But it only lasted for a few months."

"Why?" I eagerly want to know.

"My father wanted me continue our family legacy in the field of medicine. So, he liked it better if I study rather than went to those art classes." He answered, calmly.

I nodded in understanding. "But, how about you? Which one do you like?"

A bitter smile curved his lips. "What I like isn't important. As a child, what's more important is making my parents happy. That's what I want most in life." After a moment, he continued with a solemn tone, reflecting on his past, "After my mother passed away, my father took care of me. Despite his busy schedule, he always made time for me at home. I'm deeply grateful for that, and I've been determined to make him happy for as long as I breathe."

Apparently, that was how Taehyung's life went. When I thought about it, mine was quite similar. I also raised by a single mother after my father abandoned us during my childhood. I had a passion for singing, but my mother also didn't really support it. As I pondered these parallels, it felt as though fate had woven our paths together, destined for our eventual encounter.

My reverie shattered as Taehyung's fingers began to caress the piano keys, their dance a symphony of grace. The melody that flowed forth was an ethereal blend of uniqueness, beauty, and enchantment, wrapping around me like a silken embrace. In that moment, transported by its transcendent strains, I felt as if my soul had ascended beyond this world, adrift in the ethereal realm.

As the final note resonated, I erupted into applause, showering him with the same fervor he always showed me after my singing performances. Then, in a surprising twist, he suddenly turned towards me, gently enveloping my hand in his own, guiding my fingertips to the smooth surface of those enchanting ivory and ebony keys.