Chapter 34: Dangers Lurking In The Shadows

Brianne stood outside Dante's ward, her expression cold and void of emotion. The sterile corridor seemed to absorb her presence, as if it held secrets of its own. She addressed Skylar, who leaned against the wall quietly. "This is getting out of hand. For Zoey's sake, ensure they won't meet for the next two weeks. Let them both heal. On the 16th, organize a ball where they'll finally come face-to-face. I'll explain everything to Chloe; she won't be much of a problem. Tomorrow, I'm leaving for Country S with Brett. Take care of everything here."

Skylar nodded, his eyes flickering with hidden thoughts. Brianne's departure was swift, flanked by numerous bodyguards. As she walked away, the corridor seemed to close in, its walls whispering secrets only she could hear.

A while later Brianne entered Zoey's room, masking her feelings behind genuine smiles. Zoey instinctively asked, "Aunt, where's Dante?"

Brianne's eyes filled with false genuineness. "That brat? Well, something happened in Country G, so he went there. Don't worry; he'll be back soon."

Without waiting for Zoey's reply, Brianne left the room, Chloe following suit and blowing a kiss to her mother. Outside, Brianne's smile faded into a cold expression. "I'm afraid she was starting to get attached," she thought, squeezing Chloe's hand slightly.

The mystery of Dante's sudden absence hung in the air like an unspoken riddle.

Selena walked in later. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better. When can I go home?"

"The day after tomorrow," Selena informed, her eyes lingering on Zoey's face. There was something in her gaze-something beyond the professional concern of a doctor.

Zoey hummed her acknowledgment. Selena checked her over, her touch gentle yet probing. "Everything seems fine."

As Selena attempted to leave, Zoey winced in pain. Concern etched Selena's face. "Are you okay?"

"I-I-I..." Zoey couldn't finish her sentence and fell unconscious. Selena's pretentious worry vanished, replaced by calm resolve. "You got yourself into this mess, Zoey," she said, void of emotion. But her eyes held something - a knowledge that went beyond medical expertise.