chapter 49

The next day, Zoey went to the office early. Mia wasn't there yet, so Zoey decided to wait in Mia's office. She made herself comfortable on the couch and started reading a fashion magazine. After a while, Mia came in.

Seeing Zoey, Mia said, "What a morning this is," sounding a bit upset.

"Are you annoyed because I'm here?" Zoey asked, puffing up her cheeks.

"No, it's not that," Mia replied, throwing herself on the couch across from Zoey, looking upset.

"You seem really upset. What's wrong?" Zoey asked.

"They want me to come over to their house," Mia said.

"Who does?"

"The Blackwoods. Dante and Selena," Mia answered.

"Oh, really? But why are you upset? They're your family, right?" Zoey asked.

"You don't understand, Zoey. I can't stand them, especially Selena. If she had done enough, Dante would still remember things, and maybe you'd be happy," Mia said.

"Don't say that. I'm sure Selena did her best. And Dante... I was never really his," Zoey said, trying to make Mia feel better.

"I just feel bad about what happened to you," Mia said, starting to cry.

"No, don't cry! If you cry, I'll start crying too," Zoey said, hugging Mia.

"Zoey, I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you're not okay," Mia said.

"I am okay," Zoey said quickly.

"No, you're not," Mia said.

"I really am," Zoey insisted.

"Okay, prove it. Let's go to the Blackwoods' together," Mia said.

"I can't," Zoey said. "I just can't."

"Because you don't want to remember what could have been, right?" Mia asked, with a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Fine, I'll go with you," Zoey agreed.

"You're kidding," Mia said.

"No, I'm serious. When Dante forgot about me, I decided to forget about him too. I won't keep hurting myself. Don't worry about me, Mia. I'm really fine," Zoey said.

"If you say so, then let's go. We're going to Selena's house," Mia said, wiping her tears.

"Okay," Zoey agreed.

They got up and left the office.

When they got to the big house, Zoey just looked at it without any excitement. They went inside, and the living room was empty.

"Let's go to the guest room," Mia suggested. They started walking towards the stairs, but then Zoey smelled something familiar. Her heart started beating faster. Just as she was about to turn around, Dante spoke from behind them, making Mia stop too.

"Mia, what's your disrespectful friend's name?" Dante asked, coming from the kitchen with a glass of water, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt.