Chapter 10: Everyone Hates Calamari

Content Warning: Unambiguous portrayals of homophobia and use of homophobic slurs.

Author's Note: I'm updating a little earlier than expected simply because I'm going to be busy tomorrow and I don't want to keep anyone waiting. Anyway, this chapter actually marks my 20,000th word within this story. Can you even believe that it has only spanned through three days? Neither can I, which is why I'm going to have to pick things up a bit so it doesn't get too boring.

This chapter is a little on the longer side, but it's pretty fast paced. I'm pretty happy with how this went down and I hope you guys enjoy it as well.

Next chapter on Friday!

Chapter 10: Everyone Hates Calamari 

"There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired."

     - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby 

Chance

I found myself lounging against my desk. I looked fixatedly at the clock garnishing the wall of my physics class.

Though now, instead of the free falling flow of liquid that had been ruining my clothes, I now had a piece of gauze that the nurse had told me to pinch my nose with to prevent blood flow.

She was either incredibly stupid or incredibly lazy. Because I could have done the same thing with the paper towel I had had when I had entered her office.

But according to her, the gauze was 'more sanitary'. She had believed it was superior to the dripping mush that Callaway had given me. And though I was nowhere near being a medical professional, I couldn't see a difference. My face was still smeared with the remnants of blood and I felt no more hygienic.

Other than that aspect, the trip to nurse had run smoothly. Callaway and I had both lied about our injuries. Then, the nurse had sent us away without a question, even though it has been clear that he had punched me.

She had only taken a moment to suggest to Callaway that he visit an actual doctor. He had laughed at that before promptly exiting her office.

I followed him out the door as I spoke, "Well now that that's done and over with, mind if I follow you back to science class?"

He scratched at his neck as he continued walking ahead of me.

I glanced at him expectantly.

"Apologies, but I need to collect a book I had mislaid in my locker," Callaway muttered as he strode apart from me.

"Alright," I shrugged at him, ignoring the flicker of disappointment residing in my head. "I guess I'll see you in in class," I called out as he sauntered down the hall.

_________

I hardly noticed the sound of the bell as science class ended. I was pondering whether or not Callaway ever made his way class. I hadn't heard any of his usual obnoxious comments which made me slightly concerned. Though as I left the classroom, I looked behind me at Callaway's assigned.

It was empty

__________

I now sat in physics class, waiting for lunch to start.

I continued to gaze at the small movements of seconds on the clock. Then, finally, a shrill ringing resonated through the air of the classroom.

I left the class more quickly than usual, helped by my great lack of supplies.

Even so, as I brushed past students on my out, my ears were met once again with the sound of hushed whispering around me. I ignored it as I made my way to the cafeteria; in pursuit of a sliver of freedom from class lectures and macaroni and cheese.