Chapter 20: Misunderstandings: The Musical

Author's Note: Chapter 20 guys! I feel like this is some kind milestone and I want to celebrate it.

Also, I may or may not have written more than 4000 words. Why do I do this to myself? Anyway this is the longest chapter up to date, with good reason.

I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 20: Misunderstandings: The Musical

"Their eyes met and they stared together at each other, alone in space."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chance

I was not particularly fond of swearing. Why I disliked it was unknown to me. But that night as I lay in bed, staring up at the sharp white of my ceiling, I couldn't help but mutter under my breath:

"Well fuck."

And really, that described my situation with perfect accuracy because...

I liked Callaway.

Liked liked.

Basically "I wanna smush my face against
your face ... lovingly ... forever" kind of like.

I think I lov... I mean - deeply cared for him.

Which was a thought that even made myself shiver in embarrassment.

It just wasn't fair. Why of all the people I could ever possibly be interested in, did it have to be a sociopath who could never in a million years ever even fathom having romantic feelings for me?

The world was clearly out to get me.

Why couldn't I just be straight? Then I wouldn't have to deal with all of this. I could be wholly invested in boobs and short skirts, instead of being perpetually torn between chicks and dicks.

And obviously this time, I seemed to have chosen dicks.

A dick that was totally off limits in every way.

God, I really had to stop thinking about dicks.

The worst of it all was that I didn't know. Even worse, I was in constant denial over the fact that I was into Callaway. Until I spent hours on painting a watercolor picture of him.

Go big or go home I guess.

Either way, it was physically painful to experience the excruciating pain of having, dare I say it, a crush.

And so the logical solution was to share my pain.

You: So Callaway...

Message sent to: Aly

A few minutes later, my phone chimed with a reply.

Aly: Oh my god does this mean what I think it does?????? Please tell me it does

I cringed at how excited she was getting, typing out a slightly cryptic reply.

You: Well what do you think it means?

The response came almost instantly.

Aly: That you finally realized the reality of your big gay crush on our favorite psychopath

I sighed to myself as I tapped at my screen in the darkness of my bedroom.

You: maybe.