43

- Thank you for the covers

Damon

Unless I'm hunting down nasties, you will never see me driving around parts of town with sunglasses on. For one, I hunt at night. That way, people wouldn't freak out if I shot a handsome man casually talking to a girl to a nearby hotel. And glasses at night would make me look stupid.

But when I saw a familiar car, with the same green-eyed lover boy occasionally dropping by our apartment to visit Catherine, I just had to see who I'm up against. Know the enemy, they say. I'm not stalking; simply observing the competition. He's not one of the nasties, but he has the aura of someone who preys on innocent women, which is basically the same thing.

When he turned his car to the corner where Catherine and I had our close encounter with some of those soul-suckers, I just knew something was up. Now why would a man in a black suit be on a block full of bars and underground strip clubs? (I'm a changed man, don't give me that look.)

I parked my car a couple of lampposts away and waited patiently as he got out of his Porsche, phone in hand.

"What are you doing in place like this?" I murmured. He took a look around before crossing the street and straight to the establishment of an old friend of mine. A really old friend of mine, if I might add.

Now I haven't talked to the owner of the establishment ever since he got me a succubus for my twenty first birthday; since a normal female was a great failure for a first run. The ladies I've been with must have thought I had some kinky obsession about blindfolding them during the whole process. I can't just tell them 'Well I just might literally suck the soul out of you.' can I? That would freak them out without me even trying to explain it. So we went on our separate ways with them thinking I'm a kinky bastard.

I tried to casually make my way across the street. This place looks so different at night; aside from the sky turning dark, obviously. Right now, everything was quiet and only a few folks were walking on the street. I scanned the area one more time before walking to the back of the building Robert just got in.

If someone found out who the owner really was, they'd laugh at his face. Well he doesn't like being called Cupid anymore. He's just like my father. A universal entity acknowledged by history, myths and religions. Different names and appearances but will stay for eternity in the face of the planet. Now why you ask, is a man who's responsible for bringing the nerd and the popular kid in school together, doing in a place like this?

You see, everybody has an interpretation in Love, just as much there are many explanations about Death.

Love isn't necessarily a boy-meets-girl kind of thing. I don't know what made people think that it's mainly about meeting someone. I mean the general idea is there.

Meeting someone; whether for the first time or the last.

There's also another definition of Love, the kind of definition you give when you're asked about it on English Class and secretly Google so you look like you know your shit or you can tell a story about a father holding his kid for the first time and get all the girls in the room admiring you for being sentimental. This love thing that gets people going crazy, lack sleep and focus actually has different stages. Love would be meeting someone, getting attached; admitting that you finally have something or someone you can tolerate and hopefully, still have the feeling after thirty or so years later.