BONDING TIME!!!

It was late at night, maybe close to one in the morning. You couldn't sleep. Like usual. So you decided to walk around the castle for a bit to clear your head and tire you out. Outside on a ledge, or balcony, you spotted the trio looking out into the night sky. Don't ask me how you got there, you just followed wherever your feet took you.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" You spoke up, coming out of the shadows. The three of them turned around, startled slightly.

"Sergeant!" Farlan exclaimed, his eyes wide with shock and confusion. You waved at the three of them lazily.

"Yo," you replied back. Farlan and Isabel kept looking at you while Levi turned back around, avoiding your gaze. You noticed this.

"Levi, you know I'm not holding this against you," you said softly while walking up next to him. You took a seat on a separate block of stone. Levi slowly turned and looked at you with slight surprise. Even though it wasn't that obvious on his face. "If I was still living in the underground I would do anything to live above ground. So I don't blame you in the least." He said nothing after that and gazed back forward.

"Ya know, we've... wanted to ask you some things...." Isabel spoke up quietly.

"Ask away then," you replied with a shrug.

"Well... why were you living in the underground?" Farlan asked first.

"Well, I was born there." You leaned back onto your hands.

"Really?" Isabel inquired, a little shocked. You nodded at her.

"Yeah. It's not the most luxurious place, but I was with my family... or what was my family..." You replied, lowering your voice at the end, though they didn't notice it.

"Well, what about your family?" Isabel asked. You thought for a second on how to answer that question the simplest way.

"I'm an only child, as you could tell, and my father abandoned my mom and I when I was younger. My mom fell ill when I was nine and wasn't strong enough to go out, or let alone get out of bed. So I had to, and that's where I learned how to fight, how to learn to kill in order to survive," you explained. They nodded a bit. It seemed like everyday for them. People who lived above ground would normally cringe at you saying that, but not them. To them it's just the normal. Which it shouldn't be, but they can't help it.

"When did you join the Survey Corps?" Farlan asked.

"Well, my mom died when I was 10, so I was alone for two years. That's when the Survey Corps came down to retrieve me. I joined the Trainee squad, and yeah," you replied. They were silent for a little which made you curious.

"Anything else? You're awfully quiet," you spoke up.

"It's just... how did you become a Sergeant?" Farlan asked.

"Oh... well, on my second expedition, when I was fifteen, Commander Shadis was badly injured and was unable to lead the expedition. On top of that, Titans were coming, so I filled in the roll. I was able to get everyone back inside the walls without many deaths. Apparently, I impressed him and the higher ups so much, I was all of a sudden promoted to Sergeant. Don't ask me, I almost passed out when Shadis said that. Actually, I threw up. Either with anxiety, or just pure shock," you replied while laughing wholeheartedly. "I was such a wimp when I was younger— wait... that was a year ago..." You realized while snickering at your own forgetfulness. Time goes by slower when your life is at the mercy of man-eating monsters.

"You laugh at yourself a lot, don't you?" Isabel asked. You sighed, swinging your legs back at forth.

"I may be a Sergeant, but I'm still a kid, ya know? Besides, I like to laugh at myself. Not degradingly, but to show that it's okay to laugh at yourself sometimes," you replied. Isabel nodded.