88: Taniel - Dressing For Dinner

The knocking on my bedroom door grew insistent, as did the entreaties to wake. Reluctant, I dragged myself from iridescent dreams of scale-encrusted shoulders and pretty wings. With my eyes forced wide, I shook my head until the visions faded.

"Come in," I croaked, groggy after too long a nap. As I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, a girl hurried in with my dresses draped over one arm.

"You're Hannah?" I said.

"That's right." She bobbed. "I have your frocks."

I nodded. "Call me Taniel," I said, my cheeks warming, not sure how to respond to the curtsy.

"There is not much time to dress, Miss Bartle." She smiled, and deftly separating the dresses. "Which one will you wear for your welcome?"

"Welcome?"

"To the family, Miss Taniel." Hannah wrinkled her nose. "Did you not know the dinner is for you?"

"No-one told me." Flattered, I understood the dressing up nonsense, now. I touched the one with the lush red material, recalling the final fitting with the dressmaker. I had felt like a princess in the emerald green. This other made me feel more wanton than regal. Katerine had encouraged the daring blood-red creation.

I had started to like her, that day, when she was still Erin: a big mistake.

"Hannah, you choose for me," I said, going over to the lime washed dressing table where I picked up the comb and dragged it through my curls. I wished for my hairbrush.

"Has Jarryd come home?" I tried not to sound desperate.

"No Miss Bar-, Taniel." She spoke from inside the wardrobe where she was putting away the second dress. She pushed the door closed and, turning to me, dropped her voice. "I heard Master Dax tell Mistress Olivia that the young master has gone up country to his own dragon."

"Oh." Dismay squeezed my insides. I had been certain he would come back, if not for me, then for his child.

Sniffing back tears, I glanced at the red dress, gleaming under the mage lights, vivid against the pale green quilt.

I never wore red.

"You wish the green one, Miss Taniel?"

The girl had read my face.

"No. No. That one's fine," I said. What did it matter? "Thank you, Hannah. You can go. I will find my way downstairs."

I took off my wrinkled skirt and blouse, shook them, and hung them over the bottom bed board to air. I took up the red dress and, after loosening the bodice lacing, I poked my head up through the skirts. I slipped my arms in the sleeves. My skin tingled with delight as the soft material glided down my body, the folds falling around my legs.

On the way to the mirror stand, over by the bath, I firmed the crisscrossing laces across the front.

My reflection delighted me, though my hair was flatter on one side. I prodded my waves until they sat evenly about my face and neck. My eyes dropped to my cleavage.

Way, way, too much skin.

I breathed in, hunching, trying to push the topmost parts of my breasts back inside the bodice, wishing Katerine had not convinced me that it was the best way to enhance a husband's attentiveness.

Would Dax notice?

The thought startled me.

Guilt prickled under my ribs. I must rid myself of treacherous winged fancies.

This dress was made for my dragonrider and I would not wear it, lest it did attract another. I would not eat with my kidnappers and if Olivia should object, too bad. I fumbled with the thin red laces.

Taniel.

A little scream from me. I almost wet my smallclothes. Who are you? I demanded, sending a barrage of anger along the mindpath. You can't just come barging into my head without warning. What do you want?

I am Driscoll. Did Dax not tell you to expect me?

Not until after dinner.

I hurried to the window. Ritter is on the mainland. Now is good. Put your finger in the hole and I shall make you invisible.

Without question, I obeyed. A whisper of icy coldness struck my fingertip, spread across my hand, and embraced me like another skin. I shuddered, more than a little scared. Now what? I asked, looking down at myself. Am I invisible?

Look in the mirror.

I did. I was barely there. What if I stayed this way?

Amusement meandered along the mindpath. You will only stay that way until I withdraw the spell, or moonlight, whichever comes first.

The moon? Jarryd said sunlight.

It depends on my wishes. We do not have much time. Jarryd will guide you.

He's here? Only half-listening to the firedrake's promises of safety, joy raced through me. My betrothed had not left me, at all. My reaction made a mockery of my earlier doubt. Of course, I cared for him.

Excited, I looked down at my red dress. He would see me in it, later, but it was not practical for riding a dragon. I must change.

There is no time. Take nothing with you, the dragon said, reading my thoughts. Jarryd will come to you. Be ready.

I rushed through the small reception room and yanked the door open. There, stood Jarryd. Thrilled, I gasped. My dragonrider looked better in his black riding leathers than I remembered. His eyes smiled in my general direction and his wide grin welcomed me in the way that mattered most.

"Jarryd," I whispered, needing to say his name aloud. "It is so good to see you, for real." I entwined my fingers with his.

"Boot is on the other foot now, sweetheart." He pulled me gently towards him, closing the door at my back. The burnt earthy dragon smell of him made my senses reel. He circled our hands behind his back, pressed me against the door, and kissed every part of my face he found. I gave him my lips.

"We must go," he whispered, after drawing a breath.

Get on with it. Driscoll's voice made us flinch.

We had gone only a few steps when we halted.

Dax, laden with baggage, rushed toward us.

***

4 April 2017 - replaced with revised scene

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?